Polynomial that satisfies a differential equation

H_n'(x)= -H_(n-1)(x)- x(-H_(n-2)(x)- (n-2)H_(n-3)(x)-(n-1)H_(n-2)'(x))-(n-1)H_(n-2)'(x) = -H_(n-1)(x)+ xH_(n-2)(x)+ (n-1)H_(n-2)'(x)- (n-1)H_(n-2)'(x)= -H_(n-1)(x)+ xH_(n-2)(x).Then use the formula H_n(x) = -xH_(n-1)(
TiberiusK

Homework Statement

I must show that t H_n satisfies a diferential equation. By diferentiating H_n(x) = -xH_(n-1)(x) - (n - 1)H_(n-2)(x) (1) and
using induction on n, show that, for n >= 1,
H'_n(x) = -nH_(n-1)(x) (2)
I have to use (2) to express H_(n-1) and H_(n-2) in terms of derivatives of H_n, and substitute these into (1) to show that
H''_n - xH'_n + nH_n = 0 (3)
for n>= 0. Now let O_n(x) = exp(-(x^2)/4 )H_n(x). Using (3) I must show that
O''_n +(n+1/2-(x^2)/3)O_n=0

Homework Equations

H_n(x) for n = 0,1,2... : H_0(x) =1 and H_1(x) = -x; then, for n >=2, H_n is defined by the recurrence
H_n(x) = -xH_(n-1)(x) - (n - 1)H_(n-2)(x): (1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I need some help on getting started ,my first problem is how to differentiate the recurrence
H_n(x) = -xH_(n-1)(x) - (n - 1)H_(n-2)(x) ...because I get
H_n'(x) =-H_(n-1)'(x) -xH_(n-1)(x) - (n - 1)H_(n-2)'(x) =>-H_(n-1)'(x)[1+x]- (n - 1)H_(n-2)'(x) and I do not know how to continue ...

Physics news on Phys.org
any ideas?

TiberiusK said:

Homework Statement

I must show that t H_n satisfies a diferential equation. By diferentiating H_n(x) = -xH_(n-1)(x) - (n - 1)H_(n-2)(x) (1) and
using induction on n, show that, for n >= 1,
H'_n(x) = -nH_(n-1)(x) (2)

I have to use (2) to express H_(n-1) and H_(n-2) in terms of derivatives of H_n, and substitute these into (1) to show that
H''_n - xH'_n + nH_n = 0 (3)
for n>= 0. Now let O_n(x) = exp(-(x^2)/4 )H_n(x). Using (3) I must show that
O''_n +(n+1/2-(x^2)/3)O_n=0

Homework Equations

H_n(x) for n = 0,1,2... : H_0(x) =1 and H_1(x) = -x; then, for n >=2, H_n is defined by the recurrence
H_n(x) = -xH_(n-1)(x) - (n - 1)H_(n-2)(x): (1)

So that H_0'= 0 and H_1'= -1.
The formula you want to prove says that H'_1(x)= -(1)H_0(x)= -(1) so it is correct for n= 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I need some help on getting started ,my first problem is how to differentiate the recurrence
H_n(x) = -xH_(n-1)(x) - (n - 1)H_(n-2)(x) ...because I get
H_n'(x) =-H_(n-1)'(x) -xH_(n-1)(x) - (n - 1)H_(n-2)'(x) =>-H_(n-1)'(x)[1+x]- (n - 1)H_(n-2)'(x) and I do not know how to continue ...
Well, you are using the product rule incorrectly.
H_n'(x)= -H_(n-1)(x)- xH_(n-1)'(x)- (n-1)H_(n-2)'(x)

1. What is a polynomial that satisfies a differential equation?

A polynomial that satisfies a differential equation is a function that, when substituted into the differential equation, makes the equation true. This means that the derivative of the polynomial function is equal to the value of the differential equation at that point.

2. How do you find a polynomial that satisfies a differential equation?

To find a polynomial that satisfies a differential equation, you must first determine the order of the polynomial, which is equal to the highest derivative present in the differential equation. Then, you can solve for the coefficients of the polynomial by setting the derivative of the polynomial equal to the differential equation and solving for the coefficients.

3. Can all differential equations be satisfied by a polynomial?

No, not all differential equations can be satisfied by a polynomial. Some differential equations may require exponential, trigonometric, or other types of functions to satisfy them. However, many common differential equations can be satisfied by a polynomial.

4. Are there any specific rules for finding a polynomial that satisfies a differential equation?

Yes, there are a few rules that can help in finding a polynomial that satisfies a differential equation. These include setting the polynomial equal to the differential equation and its derivatives, considering the initial conditions of the differential equation, and using the method of undetermined coefficients.

5. How do you know if a polynomial satisfies a differential equation?

To know if a polynomial satisfies a differential equation, you can substitute the polynomial into the differential equation and its derivatives. If the equation is true for all values of the independent variable, then the polynomial satisfies the differential equation.