Good astrophysics/astronomy universities?

• Schools
  • Thread starter permapoop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universities
In summary, the conversation discusses good astrophysics/astronomy universities in the US, focusing on the top 15 and schools such as Chicago, Caltech, MIT, and Princeton. The speaker mentions wanting to major in astrophysics/astronomy and applying to college next year, seeking suggestions for where to apply. The conversation also touches on the relationship between strength of graduate programs and research programs, as well as the option of attending smaller liberal-arts colleges for undergraduate education.
permapoop
What are some good astrophysics/astronomy universities in the US?

About top 15?

I know Chicago, Caltech, MIT, and Princeton(?) is good.
I'm going to major Astrophysics/astronomy and will apply to college next year and I want to know where I can apply for those majors.
Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://graduate-school.phds.org/rankings/astronomy/rank/_MM_____________________________________________________________U

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!
Is that only for Graduate schools? Or is that for all?

Strength of graduate program is closely tied in with strength of research program. That being said, MIT doesn't have a separate Astronomy program so you won't find it there.

permapoop said:
I'm going to major Astrophysics/astronomy and will apply to college next year and I want to know where I can apply for those majors.
Any suggestions?

If you are doing an undergraduate, remember that going to a large research university is just one option. There are a lot of small liberal-arts colleges that never show up on the rankings, but which offer very good undergraduate education.

1. What are the top universities for astrophysics and astronomy?

Some of the top universities for astrophysics and astronomy include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Harvard University, Princeton University, and University of California, Berkeley.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing an astrophysics/astronomy university?

Some important factors to consider when choosing an astrophysics/astronomy university include the reputation and ranking of the university, the faculty and their research areas, the availability of research opportunities and resources, the curriculum and coursework offered, and the location and surrounding resources (such as observatories or research facilities).

3. What undergraduate degree should I pursue for a career in astrophysics/astronomy?

Many universities offer undergraduate degrees in astrophysics, astronomy, or physics with a concentration in astrophysics. It is important to choose a degree that provides a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer programming, as these are essential skills in the field of astrophysics.

4. Are there specific graduate programs for astrophysics/astronomy?

Yes, there are many graduate programs specifically for astrophysics and astronomy. These programs typically offer specialized coursework, research opportunities, and access to advanced facilities and equipment. Some universities also offer joint programs with other departments, such as physics or engineering.

5. How important is research experience in astrophysics/astronomy?

Research experience is extremely important in the field of astrophysics and astronomy. Many universities offer opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students to participate in research projects and gain hands-on experience. Having research experience can also make a candidate more competitive for graduate programs and job opportunities in the field.