What Happens if the Presidential Election Ends in a Tie?

• News
  • Thread starter enigma
  • Start date
In summary, according to statisticians, there is a ~4% chance of a tie in the electoral college based on recent polls and margins of error. If this were to happen, the decision would go to Congress with the House choosing the President and the Senate choosing the VP. With the current state of the Senate, it is unlikely that a Kerry/Cheney or Bush/Edwards pairing would happen. However, there is still a possibility for a Democratic majority in the Senate. If neither candidate receives a majority, there is a scenario in which Edwards could become acting President.
enigma
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
According to statesticians, based on the most recent polls and the margins of error, there is a ~4% chance of a tie in the electoral college.

A buddy of mine and I have been giggling about this for a few days.

If there is a tie (or if Nader somehow gets a few electoral votes and Bush/Kerry remain close), since no candidate will have a majority, it'll go to Congress.

The House chooses the President. The Senate chooses the VP.

How would you like to see Bush and Edwards in the White House?

Even better, how much should they charge to watch Cheney's head explode?

:rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
So there about a 5% chance that we'll all be waiting for Hawaii to decide the winner this time ! :eek:

enigma said:
According to statesticians, based on the most recent polls and the margins of error, there is a ~4% chance of a tie in the electoral college.

A buddy of mine and I have been giggling about this for a few days.

If there is a tie (or if Nader somehow gets a few electoral votes and Bush/Kerry remain close), since no candidate will have a majority, it'll go to Congress.

The House chooses the President. The Senate chooses the VP.

This hasn't happened in some 200 years now, what ?

If I recall correctly, it happened during the second election. Adams vs. Jefferson. Jefferson actually became the vice president to John Quincy. This was one of the only, if only, administrations to contain leaders from two different parties.

That would be great! (Bush/Edwards)
Unfortunately it doesn't look like there's going to be a Democratic majority in The Senate.

check said:
That would be great! (Bush/Edwards)
Unfortunately it doesn't look like there's going to be a Democratic majority in The Senate.

Imagine Kerry/Cheney...or would it be better said Cheney/Kerry?

Well, Kerry/Cheney won't happen, because the Democrats don't have control of the House.

I thought that the Dems were supposed to maintain marginal control of the Senate... ?

enigma said:
Well, Kerry/Cheney won't happen, because the Democrats don't have control of the House.

I thought that the Dems were supposed to maintain marginal control of the Senate... ?

But still, it would be entertaining.

Hence why it would be Bush/Edwards.

enigma said:

They have a chance, but it's going to be very tough.

The "too close to call" states in the Senate race right now are : South Dakota, North Carolina, South Carolina, Louisiana and Florida - where Democrats retired - Alaska, Kentucky, Oklahoma and Colorado - where GOP senators resigned.

Democrats need to win 7 of these 9 states for a majoirty.

This morning, CNN mentioned one possibility in which neither Bush or Kerry get the required majority - this is after the vote has gone to Congress - and Edwards ends up as the acting President! :rofl:

I guess the three states having Senators from opposing parties could cause this scenario, however unlikely it may be.

Ivan Seeking said:
This morning, CNN mentioned one possibility in which neither Bush or Kerry get the required majority - this is after the vote has gone to Congress - and Edwards ends up as the acting President! :rofl:

Now THAT would be awesome. lol

1. What happens in case of a tie in a scientific experiment?

In case of a tie in a scientific experiment, the results are inconclusive and further research may be necessary to determine a clear outcome.

2. How is a tie defined in a scientific study?

A tie in a scientific study occurs when two or more groups or variables have the same exact outcome or result.

3. Is a tie considered a valid result in a scientific experiment?

Yes, a tie can be considered a valid result in a scientific experiment, especially if the sample size is small or the differences between the groups are minimal.

4. How is a tie resolved in a scientific study?

A tie can be resolved by increasing the sample size, using more precise measurement tools, or repeating the experiment multiple times to obtain a more accurate result.

5. Can a tie be avoided in a scientific experiment?

Although researchers strive to avoid ties in their experiments, it is not always possible due to the unpredictable nature of science. However, following proper research methods and using appropriate controls can help minimize the likelihood of a tie.