Can anything truly not kill you?

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
In summary, this thread is about trying to find something that can't kill you. Everything from knives to iPods to TV to cute little kittens can kill you, so there is no such thing as an invincible object.
To make it more interesting I think people must backup their claims with evidences.

Physics news on Phys.org
Norman Bates's mother. She couldn't even kill a fly!

It's sad, when a mother has to speak the words that condemn her own son. But I couldn't allow them to believe that I would commit murder. They'll put him away now, as I should have years ago. He was always bad, and in the end he intended to tell them I killed those girls and that man... as if I could do anything but just sit and stare, like one of his stuffed birds. They know I can't move a finger, and I won't. I'll just sit here and be quiet, just in case they do... suspect me. They're probably watching me. Well, let them. Let them see what kind of a person I am. I'm not even going to swat that fly. I hope they are watching... they'll see. They'll see and they'll know, and they'll say, "Why, she wouldn't even harm a fly..."

Since we do not have much idea about what's happening inside a black hole, I'm not sure if a black hole could kill me if I get into one of them.

But as JimmySnyder pointed out, I could die for sure by eating a black hole, by hunger or malnutrition. The black hole would suck up all the nutrients that I eat.

Evo said:
I found out last night that floors can kill you.

Hey, that's not funny, coming from anyone else but you, it would be. Are you alright ?

Rhody... :eek:

rhody said:
Hey, that's not funny, coming from anyone else but you, it would be. Are you alright ?

Rhody... :eek:
Now I found that I have pain in the middle of my spine. I am fine, I just whacked a lot of places pretty hard.

Evo said:
Now I found that I have pain in the middle of my spine. I am fine, I just whacked a lot of places pretty hard.
I know. I just found your post in the, "The Why Thread",
I fell down last night and injured my tail bone and have a huge swollen area on my left leg just below the hip joint. It looks broken, but I'm not getting that searing pain you get from a break. I need more cushions in order to sit.
When you say, "it looks broken", what do you mean, your http://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...6l15l2l2l1l0l328l2189l0.4.5.1l10&safe=active" ?

Rhody... :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
rhody said:
I know. I just found your post in the, "The Why Thread",
When you say, "it looks broken", what do you mean, your http://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...6l15l2l2l1l0l328l2189l0.4.5.1l10&safe=active" ?

Rhody... :confused:
My leg near the hip joint looks broken due to the odd swelling, but it is not as painful as the many broken bones I've had, so probably a lot of blood accumulated in that spot.

If I feel worse tomorrow, I'll go to the doctor, but so far today, aside from finding more places that are injured, the actual pain is not worse.

It hurts to even blow my nose, and the pain is not in my nose. I'll let you guess about that one. :tongue2:

I hope you are saying that although it looks broken, it doesn't seem to be. I hope you're ok. And Ouch!

Evo said:
My leg near the hip joint looks broken due to the odd swelling, but it is not as painful as the many broken bones I've had, so probably a lot of blood accumulated in that spot.

If I feel worse tomorrow, I'll go to the doctor, but so far today, aside from finding more places that are injured, the actual pain is not worse.

It hurts to even blow my nose, and the pain is not in my nose. I'll let you guess about that one. :tongue2:

careful, if you have a hip fracture, it could cause a lot of blood loss.

One milliliter of water, assuming nothing's been added to it, shouldn't be able to kill someone.

Edit:

A grain of sand
A molecule
A ladybug
A hair from an ant's abdomen
A cat's whisker

I think there exist many sufficiently small things that can't kill people.

Last edited:
a smile!

actually, smiling at the wrong sort of people could kill you...

Dembadon said:
One milliliter of water, assuming nothing's been added to it, shouldn't be able to kill someone.

A laryngospasm can occur from very small amount of water producing death by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_drowning" . Whether or not 1 milliliter would be enough is tough to say.

S_Happens said:
A laryngospasm can occur from very small amount of water producing death by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_drowning" . Whether or not 1 milliliter would be enough is tough to say.

Excellent find! I just learned something new, thank you! :approve:

rootX said:
To make it more interesting I think people must backup their claims with evidences.

How could that be possible? It's not like everything has killed someone.

Some ideas are deadly.

rootX said:
This I set out to do, but so far no go. I thought that a feather couldn't kill anyone, but that turned out to be wrong. Then I tried a marshmallow. Unfortunately, it turns out that it can. A leaf, a sticky-note, a flower. I'm afraid I have to stop for the time being until I can tidy up here and then it's back to work.

The point seems clear: Assume everything is dangerous until long-term data is available showing otherwise.

Ivan Seeking said:
The point seems clear: Assume everything is dangerous until long-term data is available showing otherwise.

well done

And the winner is:
Skydiving has never killed anyone.

256bits said:
And the winner is:
Skydiving has never killed anyone.

Landing is a bona fide part of skydiving, as it is part of training. And the impact with the planet can kill when deployment fails.

Nothing traveling at the speed of light can die, it can only transform.