Delinquent Taxpayers: Why aren't they arrested?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Eleven million illegal aliens working in this country, half of all homicides routinely going unsolved, and you ask why some delinquent tax payers aren't in prison? I suspect largely because they can't pay the government from a prison cell.
I was reading an article today about Wisconsin's tax "Wall of Shame". The article was interestingly enough about two NBA stars, Latrell Sprewell and Anthony Mason who are in the top three. Anyway, so the list is pretty staggering. I don't understand why these people are allowed to skip paying taxes. Why aren't these people arrested? Seems these people have been on the list for years.

http://www.revenue.wi.gov/delqlist/Topten.htm

Physics news on Phys.org
Your link doesn't work for me Greg.

Some of them are already in prison. Some of them are companies which have already gone under. As for Sprewell, so long as he avoids the Land of Cheese and Bratwurst, how can they arrest him?

Vanadium 50 said:
Some of them are already in prison. Some of them are companies which have already gone under. As for Sprewell, so long as he avoids the Land of Cheese and Bratwurst, how can they arrest him?

So to avoid taxes all I need to do is move to a different state every few years? Not bad! :wink:

Vanadium 50 said:

An arrest order in one state must be honored by another which then extradites the person. It's in the Constitution.

Wesley Snipes is in jail for not paying his taxes, so not everyone who does it gets away with it. 'Course that was FEDERAL taxes. Tougher rap to beat.

This is amazing. I had no idea people lived in Wisconsin.

Eleven million illegal aliens working in this country, half of all homicides routinely going unsolved, and you ask why some delinquent tax payers aren't in prison? I suspect largely because they can't pay the government from a prison cell.

Pengwuino said:
This is amazing. I had no idea people lived in Wisconsin.

Actually, my understanding is is that there are a LOT more there (several dozen at least) than there are in North Dakota (about a dozen).

1. Why aren't delinquent taxpayers arrested?

Delinquent taxpayers are not automatically arrested for failing to pay their taxes because tax evasion is considered a civil offense, not a criminal one. This means that the issue is usually handled through the IRS's civil enforcement mechanisms, such as fines, wage garnishment, or placing a tax lien on the delinquent taxpayer's property.

2. Can delinquent taxpayers be arrested for tax evasion?

In extreme cases, delinquent taxpayers can face criminal charges for tax evasion if they knowingly and willfully attempt to evade paying taxes. However, these cases are rare and usually involve large amounts of money or other aggravating factors.

3. What are the consequences for being a delinquent taxpayer?

The consequences for being a delinquent taxpayer can include penalties, interest on the unpaid taxes, wage garnishment, and tax liens on property. In severe cases, the delinquent taxpayer may face criminal charges for tax evasion.

4. How does the government track delinquent taxpayers?

The government uses a variety of methods to track delinquent taxpayers, including computerized matching programs that compare tax returns to other sources of income, audits, and tips from other taxpayers. The IRS also has access to information from financial institutions, employers, and other government agencies to identify delinquent taxpayers.

5. What can delinquent taxpayers do to avoid legal consequences?

Delinquent taxpayers can avoid legal consequences by taking steps to address their tax debt, such as setting up a payment plan with the IRS or seeking professional tax help. It's essential for delinquent taxpayers to communicate with the IRS and make a good faith effort to pay their taxes to avoid further penalties and potential criminal charges.