Quetsion about Mirror Matter

In summary, physicists have proposed the existence of "mirror matter" as a potential solution to the mind/body problem, with some suggesting that it could mean copies of ourselves exist in this mirror matter. However, this idea is not widely accepted and has been linked to pseudo-science. There is currently no evidence for the existence of mirror matter and it is not connected to biochemistry or neuroscience.
Alexander1304
Quetsion about "Mirror Matter"

Hello All,
Some physicists today call about "mirror matter"( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_matter )
On some other forums,some people suggested that this mirror matter may help to solve maind/body problem.Ana some even supposed that existence of the mirror matter implies that we have a copies of ourselves into this miro matter,though mechanism about such copying is unknown.
What do you think about mirror matter and copying of ourselves into it?Could that be true?
I'm somewhat skeptical ,byt who knows...
Any thoughts will be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm pretty sure that you started a thread on this some time ago and it was explained to you that any claims of mirror matter as explanations for the mind were both unsubstantiated and in contradiction to current scientific understandings.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=498225

Hi Ryan,nice to see you again.Yes,there we discussed Wassermann's ideas about shadow matter.Now,ther reason I'm posting here is that just yesterday I bumped into one forum(ol one),discussing mirror matter without regarding Wassermann's idea,but mentioned Bob Holdom particle,that can intermediate between normal and mirror matter.And one person suggested that if mirror matter exists,then we have a copies of ourselves into it.Agree/Disagree?

Nice to see you too. Shadow matter is just another term for mirror matter, it is the same thing. Bob Holdom has proposed that there may be a particle called the mirror photon which would be the same as the photon but only interact with mirror matter the same way photons interact with matter. It would not be a mediator between normal and mirror matter as the only way it would interact with normal matter is through gravity the same as mirror matter. I'm no expert so I don't know how valid claims of mirror photons are beyond the fact that there is no experimental evidence for their existence, I would advise if you want to know more about shadow/mirror matter you ask it in one of the physics subforums.

The idea that if mirror matter exists then there must be copies of us makes as much sense as suggesting that because there are other planets in the universe there must be real matter copies of us. Whilst not impossible it is highly improbable (more so because there is no evidence mirror matter exists) and contributes nothing to the study of the hard problem of consciousness (the more technical term for the body/mind relationship).

Thanks,Ryan,I'll post this question in physics subforums.By the way,after I read that forum yesterday,I called to Bob Holdom,and asked him about "coying" into the mirror matter body.He by himself told he doesn't believe it.He also doesn't believe in secondary body and he even told me: "well,there may not be mirror matter around us"

It seems that the idea of "mirror matter" once started in the realm of theoretical physics. It was postulated to solve parity violations in weak interactions after such violations were discovered in experimental data.

As far as I can tell, there's no evidence of this "mirror matter" and *certainly* nothing that links it with biochemistry or neuroscience.

It sounds like pseudo-science creeping into fringe-science.

FlexGunship said:
It seems that the idea of "mirror matter" once started in the realm of theoretical physics. It was postulated to solve parity violations in weak interactions after such violations were discovered in experimental data.

As far as I can tell, there's no evidence of this "mirror matter" and *certainly* nothing that links it with biochemistry or neuroscience.

It sounds like pseudo-science creeping into fringe-science.
Good points,thanks FlexGunship

1. What is mirror matter?

Mirror matter, also known as dark matter, is a hypothetical form of matter that is thought to exist alongside the ordinary matter we can see and interact with in the universe. It is called mirror matter because it is expected to have the same properties as our ordinary matter, except for a reversed handedness that makes it invisible to our current detection methods.

2. How is mirror matter different from ordinary matter?

Mirror matter is thought to have the same properties as ordinary matter, such as mass and charge, but with a reversed handedness. This means that it would interact with ordinary matter through gravity, but not through the electromagnetic or strong nuclear forces. This is why it is currently undetectable by our instruments.

3. What evidence do we have for the existence of mirror matter?

The main evidence for the existence of mirror matter comes from observations of the rotation of galaxies and the movement of galaxy clusters. These observations show that there is more mass present than can be accounted for by the visible matter, leading scientists to believe that there is an invisible form of matter, such as mirror matter, that makes up the rest.

4. How is mirror matter being studied?

Mirror matter is being studied through a variety of methods, including theoretical models, astrophysical observations, and experiments using particle accelerators. Scientists are also looking for indirect evidence, such as the effects of mirror matter on the cosmic microwave background radiation, in order to better understand its properties and potential ways to detect it.

5. What are the implications of discovering mirror matter?

If mirror matter is confirmed to exist, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and its evolution. It could also potentially help explain some of the mysteries of the universe, such as the missing mass problem and the nature of dark energy. Additionally, it could have practical applications in areas such as energy production and space travel.