A prof. says Don't be a scientist.

• Thread starter Nyxie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientist
In summary, Dr. Katz says that everyone should give up aspirations of becoming a scientist of any kind because there is a glut of scientists and it's hard to find a job. He also says that you can do science on the side, and that there have been no significant contributions to the body of knowledge in physics made by "amateur" physicists in the past 100 years.
Nyxie
A prof. says "Don't be a scientist."

http://wuphys.wustl.edu/~katz/scientist.html

This scared the daylights out of me. I want to be a scientist, confoundit!

In the article, Dr. Katz of Washington University in St. Louis (a tenured physics professor) pretty much says that everyone should give up aspirations of becoming a scientist of any kind. Clearly he was just having a bad day when he wrote this (I hope).

He hasn't changed my mind about what I love to do. But it makes the prospect of doing research I'm interested in, even in an industrial setting, look like a pipe-dream.

Quote from the article:

"Suppose you do eventually obtain a permanent job, perhaps a tenured professorship. The struggle for a job is now replaced by a struggle for grant support, and again there is a glut of scientists. Now you spend your time writing proposals rather than doing research."

This article was written in 1999, but things haven't exactly improved. What's really going on in the market for science graduates? What difficulties should we expect?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Don't count on a research professorship, that's it.

Nyxie said:
http://wuphys.wustl.edu/~katz/scientist.html

This scared the daylights out of me. I want to be a scientist, confoundit!

In the article, Dr. Katz of Washington University in St. Louis (a tenured physics professor) pretty much says that everyone should give up aspirations of becoming a scientist of any kind. Clearly he was just having a bad day when he wrote this (I hope).

He hasn't changed my mind about what I love to do. But it makes the prospect of doing research I'm interested in, even in an industrial setting, look like a pipe-dream.

Quote from the article:

"Suppose you do eventually obtain a permanent job, perhaps a tenured professorship. The struggle for a job is now replaced by a struggle for grant support, and again there is a glut of scientists. Now you spend your time writing proposals rather than doing research."

This article was written in 1999, but things haven't exactly improved. What's really going on in the market for science graduates? What difficulties should we expect?

Please read this thread. My response to this will be identical to the one I wrote in that thread.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=520403

You may also want to do a search on that Katz's article. That has been discussed several times already.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZapperZ - Great thread! I actually feel a bit better.
It's true a lot of people dream of working on crazy theories get crushed but realistically, you can have fun in an area you never expected or didn't even know existed, right?

When I was a boy of five years old, I really wanted to fly airplanes. As I grew older, I realized many things about flying that I didn't like. First, it is expensive. Second, it is extremely competitive, and those who don't become airline captains don't make much at all. So I chose something else that I always liked to do: tinker with radios. I became an electrical engineer, and later a control systems engineer.

On the side, I learned how to fly and I purchased a share of an airplane. I can fly on my own time and pretty much wherever and whenever I want.

The point of saying this is that pursuing your dreams doesn't always have to be the center of your career. It can also be on the side.

There is a surprising amount of science and engineering that one can do as an amateur if one is diligent. Remember, before they were famous, Albert Einstein was a patent clerk. Joseph Henry was a watch maker and an engineer. The Wright Brothers were bicycle mechanics. You don't have to be in academia to pursue your curiosity or aspirations.

JakeBrodskyPE said:
There is a surprising amount of science and engineering that one can do as an amateur if one is diligent. Remember, before they were famous, Albert Einstein was a patent clerk. Joseph Henry was a watch maker and an engineer. The Wright Brothers were bicycle mechanics. You don't have to be in academia to pursue your curiosity or aspirations.

While those are true, one also needs to frame that with some reality within the context of the times that we live in. Things are way more complicated than what it used to be. Back on those days, even calculus were not taught at the undergraduate level. Now, we teach those even in high school. You are expected to know a lot more than during those days, and simple experiments now are few and far between.

The sad fact here is that there have been NO significant contributions to the body of knowledge in physics made by "amateur" physicists during the past 100 years or so. So to expect one to make such a contribution is to go against reality. The probability of that happening is just too low for it to be a reasonable expectation.

BTW, Einstein wasn't an "amateur". You can't call yourself an amateur when you have an advanced physics degree, which he already had by the time he worked at the Patent Office.

Zz.

Last edited:

What does the statement "Don't be a scientist" mean?

The statement "Don't be a scientist" can have different interpretations depending on the context. It could mean that the person is advising against pursuing a career in science, or it could also mean that they are warning against certain behaviors or attitudes that may be detrimental to one's success as a scientist.

What are some common behaviors or attitudes that a professor might discourage in a scientist?

Some common behaviors or attitudes that a professor might discourage in a scientist include being overly confident or arrogant, being closed-minded or resistant to new ideas, and being careless or sloppy in conducting experiments or analyzing data.

Why would a professor warn against becoming a scientist?

A professor might warn against becoming a scientist because it can be a challenging and highly competitive field, requiring dedication, hard work, and resilience. They may also want to make sure that students are fully aware of the potential difficulties and drawbacks of a career in science.

Is it still worth pursuing a career in science despite the warning?

Yes, pursuing a career in science can be extremely rewarding and fulfilling for those who have a passion for it. While there may be challenges and obstacles, many scientists find great satisfaction in contributing to the advancement of knowledge and making a positive impact on society.

How can one succeed as a scientist despite the warning?

To succeed as a scientist, it is important to cultivate a strong work ethic, remain open-minded and willing to learn, and develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It is also important to find a supportive mentor and network with other scientists in the field.