Start Your Graduate School Journey - BSc Math to ME

In summary, it is possible to go to a master's degree in mechanical engineering after completing a BSc in math, but it is important to have a love for math and be very versatile.
l-1j-cho
Hi

So I am currently in Grade 12 and I will be starting to apply for unversities soon. I am planning to apply for BSc in math but I just wanted to open graduate school option in engineering (especially in mechanical engineering). Is it possible to go master's program in mechanical engineering after BSc in math? Or do I need to double major in math and physics?

Physics news on Phys.org

If you plan to study graduate level mechanical engineering (or anything), you should major in it as an undergraduate. The assumption of graduate work is that you have completed an undergraduate degree or equivalent.

l-1j-cho said:
Hi

So I am currently in Grade 12 and I will be starting to apply for unversities soon. I am planning to apply for BSc in math but I just wanted to open graduate school option in engineering (especially in mechanical engineering). Is it possible to go master's program in mechanical engineering after BSc in math? Or do I need to double major in math and physics?

It is quite possible to change fields going into grad school if you plan it a bit. Just figure out what the important courses are for your target field and take them. I'd say maybe after 4 or 5 courses, which would probably get you a minor in that field, you stand a good chance to jump. Most of my physics undergrad friends switched to some engineering field to do masters, and I think math to mech. engineering shouldn't be very difficult.

Yes, but here's someone who hasn't even started yet. He shouldn't make things needlessly difficult for himself.

A minor in engineering including the core courses for ME would make it easier. We recently had a BA in Math graduate with a Ph.D in EE, so it's very possible. I don't know why you wouldn't just major in ME in the first place though.

Undergrads do have a tendency to over-complicate their college careers.

PatrickEE said:
I don't know why you wouldn't just major in ME in the first place though.

My primary goal is to get phd and receive tenure track at a university. I know this is extremely challenging career path. I have heard of post-doc hell and associate professors get really stressed to get tenure track. And I might change my mind after my bachelor's degree.

The reason why I am choosing math (possibly double major with physics) is because I really like math. But also, I think a math degree or physics degree is really versatile. Other than the classical route of getting phd, I can open engineering, finance, law and medicine options (I am not really interested in the last two though).

1. What is the typical path for transitioning from a BSc in Math to a graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering?

The typical path for transitioning from a BSc in Math to a graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering is to first complete your undergraduate degree in Math, with a focus on courses in mechanics, dynamics, and materials. Then, you can apply to graduate programs in Mechanical Engineering and may be required to take prerequisite courses in engineering before beginning the graduate program.

2. How does a background in Math benefit a graduate student in Mechanical Engineering?

A background in Math can benefit a graduate student in Mechanical Engineering in a variety of ways. Math skills, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical reasoning, are essential for success in engineering. Additionally, a strong foundation in Math can help students understand and apply complex concepts in areas such as fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and control systems.

3. What specific skills from a BSc in Math are transferable to a graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering?

Some specific skills from a BSc in Math that are transferable to a graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and statistics. These skills are often used in engineering courses and projects, and having a strong understanding of them can help students excel in their graduate studies.

4. Are there any potential challenges for a BSc Math graduate pursuing a graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering?

One potential challenge for a BSc Math graduate pursuing a graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering may be the transition from a more theoretical and abstract math background to a more applied and hands-on engineering curriculum. This may require additional effort and time to adapt to a new way of thinking and problem-solving. Additionally, some prerequisite courses in engineering may be necessary before beginning the graduate program.

5. Are there any specific tips for success as a BSc Math graduate in a Mechanical Engineering graduate program?

Some tips for success as a BSc Math graduate in a Mechanical Engineering graduate program include seeking out opportunities to gain hands-on experience in engineering through internships or research projects, actively participating in class discussions and group projects, and seeking support from professors and peers when needed. Additionally, staying organized and managing time effectively can help balance the workload of graduate studies in engineering.