Eligibility for MS Aerospace Engineering.

In summary, the individual is completing their undergraduate program in Electronics & Communications Engineering and is interested in pursuing an MS in Aerospace Engineering in the US. They are wondering if they are eligible for the program and which colleges would accept them without an aerospace/mechanical background or significant academic achievements. It is suggested to directly contact the colleges for more information and some may require the individual to take undergraduate courses in the field.
Nikhil05
Eligibility for MS Aerospace Engineering. please help !

Hi,
I am currently completing Undergraduate program in Electronics & Communications Engineering (due for completion in July 2012). I want to pursue MS Aerospace Engineering in the US.
Can anybody please tell if I am eligible for the program ?
Which are the colleges I can hope to get through as I neither have an Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering background nor big academic achievements ?

Physics news on Phys.org

Your best bet is to contact the colleges directly to find what would be needed. In my junior and senior years, several of my courses had some Masters students who had switched majors taking courses to learn the fundamentals.

Thanks. I have contacted many colleges & most say that an Aerospace/Mechanical background is not an absolute requirement. I am ready to do self-study to brush up on all the Aerospace basics but my question is if a good college will accept me for their graduate program since their first preference would be applicants with aerospace background.

They may accept you on the basis that you must take several of their undergraduate aero/mechanical courses to meet their applicant requirements. It depends on the school.

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in pursuing a MS in Aerospace Engineering. Based on the information provided, it appears that you may be eligible for the program. However, eligibility requirements may vary depending on the specific university and program you are interested in. It is best to check with the admissions office of the universities you are interested in to confirm their specific requirements and if you meet them.

As for your background in Electronics & Communications Engineering, while it may not be directly related to Aerospace Engineering, it is still a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) field which can be beneficial for your application. Additionally, many universities also consider relevant work experience and extracurricular activities when evaluating applicants.

Regarding your academic achievements, while they may not be "big" in your opinion, it is important to highlight any academic achievements or awards you have received in your application. This can help demonstrate your dedication and potential in the field of Aerospace Engineering.

As for specific colleges, it is difficult to say without knowing your academic background and interests. It is recommended to research and compare different universities and their programs to find the best fit for you. You can also reach out to current students or alumni to get a better understanding of their experiences and the opportunities available at their university.

I wish you all the best in your pursuit of a MS in Aerospace Engineering. Do not let your background or perceived lack of academic achievements discourage you. With determination and hard work, you can achieve your goals. Good luck!

1. What are the minimum academic qualifications required for MS in Aerospace Engineering?

The minimum academic qualifications required for MS in Aerospace Engineering vary from university to university, but generally include a bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering or a related field, such as mechanical engineering or physics. Some universities may also require a minimum GPA and specific coursework in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. Can students with a non-engineering background apply for MS in Aerospace Engineering?

Yes, students with a non-engineering background can apply for MS in Aerospace Engineering. However, they may be required to complete prerequisite courses in mathematics, physics, and engineering before starting the program. Each university has its own set of requirements, so it is important to check with the specific university for their admissions criteria.

3. Are standardized test scores, such as GRE, required for MS in Aerospace Engineering?

Most universities require applicants to submit standardized test scores, such as GRE, for MS in Aerospace Engineering. However, some universities may have a waiver for this requirement if the applicant has a high GPA or relevant work experience. It is best to check with the specific university for their admissions requirements.

4. Are there any specific language proficiency requirements for MS in Aerospace Engineering?

Most universities require international students to demonstrate proficiency in the language of instruction, which is often English, for MS in Aerospace Engineering. This can be done through standardized tests such as TOEFL or IELTS. Some universities may also require a certain level of proficiency in technical writing and reading.

5. What are some factors that can impact eligibility for MS in Aerospace Engineering?

Some factors that can impact eligibility for MS in Aerospace Engineering include academic qualifications, standardized test scores, language proficiency, letters of recommendation, and relevant work experience. It is important for applicants to carefully review the admissions requirements for the specific university they are applying to, as well as the deadlines and any additional materials that may be required.