Does anyone know about any good (advanced) geometry book?

In summary, the conversation is about the search for a good synthetic geometry book with both theory and exercises. The book "College Geometry" was recommended but turned out to be disappointing as it mainly focuses on constructing triangles. The speaker is looking for a book with more challenging exercises and asks for recommendations. The book "Geometry" by Serge Lang is suggested as well as another book that was used for high school math contests.
jaumzaum
Hi, recently I've tried to find a good sintetic geometry book with both theory and exercises. Many people said well about this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486458059/?tag=pfamazon01-20

College Geometry. I've bought it and I've got so disappointed. I want a book that has exercises for you to probe/demonstrate, find angles, sides... This one only tells you to construct a triangle given 3 things (and I'm not kidding, 90% of the book is to construct a triangle)

I don't want a book like this (if you know what I mean), I want a book with real exercises/probes

Do anyone know a book where I can find this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try the geometry book by Serge Lang.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some good advanced geometry books for beginners?

Some good advanced geometry books for beginners include "Euclidean Geometry in Mathematical Olympiads" by Evan Chen, "Geometry Revisited" by H.S.M. Coxeter and S.L. Greitzer, and "Challenging Problems in Geometry" by Alfred S. Posamentier and Charles T. Salkind.

2. Are there any geometry books specifically for high school students?

Yes, there are several geometry books specifically designed for high school students, such as "Geometry: A High School Course" by Serge Lang, "Geometry: A Comprehensive Course" by Dan Pedoe, and "Geometry" by Jurgensen, Brown, Jurgensen, and Roby.

3. What is the best geometry book for self-study?

The best geometry book for self-study will depend on the individual's learning style and level of mathematical proficiency. Some popular options include "Geometry: A Self-Teaching Guide" by Steve Slavin, "Geometry for Enjoyment and Challenge" by Richard Rhoad and George Milauskas, and "Geometry: A Guided Inquiry" by David M. Clark and Thomas Q. Sibley.

4. Are there any geometry books with a focus on proofs?

Yes, there are several geometry books that focus on proofs, such as "Proofs Without Words: Exercises in Visual Thinking" by Roger B. Nelsen, "The Art of Proof: Basic Training for Deeper Mathematics" by Matthias Beck and Ross Geoghegan, and "Geometry: Seeing, Doing, Understanding" by Harold R. Jacobs.

5. Are there any online resources for learning advanced geometry?

Yes, there are many online resources for learning advanced geometry, including video tutorials on YouTube, online courses on platforms like Coursera and edX, and interactive websites like Khan Academy and Brilliant. Additionally, many geometry textbooks have accompanying online resources, such as practice problems and solutions.