The principle of inertia and hypothetical FTL particles

In summary, the conversation was discussing a recent paper that argued FTL neutrinos would quickly lose energy through pair creation. The person speaking had a hard time understanding this based on the principle of inertia, which states that physics should be the same in any frame of reference. However, the decay rate calculated in the paper is not obviously related to a simple change of coordinate and may not be covariant. The person wanted to know if the principle of inertia could be compatible with the paper's argument and how covariance should be understood in relation to FTL particles. The expert explains that FTL particles do not have a reference frame and that the paper's formulas are likely derived from covariant expressions that depend on the assumption of FTL motion.
lalbatros
Hello,

A recent paper by Cohen and Glashow argued recently that FTL neutrinos would quickly lose energy by pair creation (in vacuum).

Starting from the principle of inertia, I had a hard time trying to understand that.
According the principle of inertia, the physics should be the same in any frame of reference.
Therefore, it should not depend on the speed of the neutrinos, except for the mere coordinate transformation to/from the reference frame of a fast neutrino. So, on this basis, the fast decay would simply be the result of a slower decay in the proper frame of the neutrino converted in a faster decay in the laboratory frame. (except that the neutrino frame of reference is FTL!)

However, the decay rate calculated by Cohen and Glashow are not obvioulsy related to such a simple change of coordinate. They are not covariant, maybe only because of approximations in the derivation.

Therefore, I would like to understand if the principle of inertia could be compatible with the Cohen and Glashow scheme where physics is different for FTL particles?
What am I missing?
How should covariance be understood when there is FTL side in the story?

Thanks for teaching me a few things,

Michel

Physics news on Phys.org
Why did I say "principle of inertia" ?
I obviously wanted to say "principle of relativity" !

Well, why don't you just edit it and fix it before it's too late?

It was already too late!

Well then did you mean "relativity" every time you put "inertia", including in the title?

lalbatros said:
the physics should be the same in any frame of reference.
Therefore, it should not depend on the speed of the neutrinos, except for the mere coordinate transformation to/from the reference frame of a fast neutrino.

A particle traveling faster than light does not have a "reference frame" in this sense. It is traveling on a spacelike worldline, and the idea of "reference frame" can't be applied to this case; you can't do the kind of "coordinate transformation" you're describing. You can describe the motion of an FTL particle using any standard frame of reference, but there will be *no* such frame in which the particle is at rest.

The paper you link to is pretty short and does not give explicit derivations of most of the formulas, so I can't tell for sure, but I strongly suspect, from what it says on page 2 about general cases of superluminal propagation, that their formulas, even though they don't look manifestly covariant, are derived from covariant expressions that depend only on the assumption that the particle is FTL, i.e., that its worldline is spacelike. That characteristic is independent of the frame of reference chosen.

1. What is the principle of inertia?

The principle of inertia, also known as Newton's first law of motion, states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does the principle of inertia relate to FTL particles?

The principle of inertia applies to all objects, including hypothetical FTL (faster-than-light) particles. These particles, if they exist, would still need to follow the laws of motion and would require an external force to change their direction or speed.

3. What are FTL particles?

FTL particles are hypothetical particles that are believed to travel faster than the speed of light. They have not been proven to exist, but are a topic of interest in theoretical physics.

4. Is the existence of FTL particles supported by the principle of inertia?

No, the principle of inertia does not directly support the existence of FTL particles. In fact, many scientists believe that the principle of inertia, along with other fundamental laws of physics, make it unlikely for FTL particles to exist.

5. What are the implications of FTL particles on our understanding of the universe?

If FTL particles were to exist, it would challenge our current understanding of the laws of physics and could potentially open up new possibilities for space travel and communication. However, until their existence is proven, these particles remain a theoretical concept.