Applied Maxima and Minima Problems

In summary, in order to minimize the amount of paper used, the pages of the textbook must have the following dimensions: x(length) and 10 - x(width).
courtrigrad
Hello all

I have a few questions on applied maxima and minima

1. A company gives you 675 sq. ft of cardboard to construct a rectangular carton with the largest volume. If the carton is to have a square base and an open top, what dimensions would you use?

My Thought Process:

Volume = length * width * height
= x*x* (675- 2x)

I know how to find the maximum volume, but am not sure about the actual equation. If it has a square base, then shouldn't it be x*x *( 675 - 2x)

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's always a good idea to specify WHAT your symbols represent. Is x a length? I assume that it is the length of the sides of the square bottom, in feet.
But if that is the case then "675- 2x" makes no sense. 675 square feet is total surface area of the box and 2x has units of feet. You can't subtract feet from square feet!

Your basic idea is right: If you call the lengths of the sides x and the height y, you have one side with area x2 square feet and 4 sides with area xy square feet. The total area is 675. Use that to find y.

thanks a lot

just to clarify, after finding y I would then just substitute this back into the volume equation and then find maximum

"2. A printed textbook page must contain 20 sq. in. of printed matter with a 2 inch margin on each side and at the top and with a 3 inch margin at the bottom. What dimensions must the pages have in order to minimize the amount of paper used?

I know the dimensions of the paper must be x(length) and 10 - x(width) How would I incorporate the information given about the margins?"

Why do you think this?
Let L be the horizontal length of the paper, H the height of the paper, x the length of the printed matter, y the height of printed matter.
We therefore have the equations:
2+2+x=L
3+2+y=H
xy=20

And you are to minimize the product LH
Hint, solve for y, and write LH as a function of x to be minimized.

thanks a lot everyone.

for # 4 and # 5 can someone give me a hint in how to get the function?

Thanks

1. What are applied maxima and minima problems?

Applied maxima and minima problems are mathematical problems that involve finding the maximum or minimum value of a function that represents a real-world situation. These problems are commonly encountered in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

2. How do you solve applied maxima and minima problems?

To solve applied maxima and minima problems, you first need to set up a function that represents the given real-world situation. Then, you can use techniques such as differentiation and optimization to find the maximum or minimum value of the function. Finally, you can interpret the solution in the context of the problem to find the answer.

3. What are some examples of applied maxima and minima problems?

Examples of applied maxima and minima problems include finding the maximum profit for a company, minimizing the cost of production for a product, and determining the optimal route for a delivery truck to minimize time and distance traveled.

4. What are the key concepts involved in solving applied maxima and minima problems?

The key concepts involved in solving applied maxima and minima problems include understanding the relationship between a function and its derivatives, using optimization techniques such as the first and second derivative tests, and interpreting the solutions in the context of the problem.

5. What are the real-world applications of applied maxima and minima problems?

Applied maxima and minima problems have a wide range of real-world applications, including in business, economics, engineering, and physics. They are used to optimize processes, minimize costs, and maximize profits in various industries. They are also important in understanding and predicting natural phenomena, such as the movement of celestial bodies and the behavior of chemical reactions.