Static pressure and airflow at reduced fan speeds

In summary, the conversation discusses the method of determining flow rates for a fan and pump by measuring the pressure and airflow at different fan speeds, taking into account the linear and squared proportionality between fan speed and airflow/static pressure. The unconventional use of the fan/pump is also mentioned, and it is suggested to actually measure the values for accuracy.
msparks
This is probably a stupid question but I've been going around in circles for a while now and have gotten myself completely confused.

I have a fan and a pump, with performance charts (static pressure vs. air flow) for both. I need to try and determine flow rates for each device when run at reduced speeds.

The fan/pump will be pulling a gas flow through a small tube, and exhausting to atmosphere. I know that's not the right way to use a fan, but that's what I'm stuck with right now. I can measure the pressure at the fan/pump inlet while running at different voltages.

Searching around the internet, I found that air flow is linearly proportional to fan speed and static pressure is proportional to fan speed squared.

So I'm guessing that if I'm at half the fan speed I should be at a quarter (.52) of the static pressure. I can measure the pressure, multiply by 4 and look it up on the chart. Then take the corresponding air flow and knock it in half to get the actual flow rate.

That's a complete guess. If anyone can steer me in the right direction, I would appreciate it because I'm really stuck here. Thanks for your help.

Michael

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct in your assumption that the static pressure is proportional to fan speed squared and the airflow is linearly proportional to fan speed. Thus, if you reduce the fan speed to half, the static pressure should decrease to a quarter of the original value and the air flow should decrease to half of the original value. However, since you are running your fan/pump in an unconventional way, it would be best to actually measure the pressure and airflow at the different fan speeds to ensure accuracy.

1. What is static pressure and how does it affect fan speeds?

Static pressure is the measure of resistance to airflow in a system. It is affected by factors such as the size and shape of the ductwork, the presence of obstacles, and the type of fan being used. At reduced fan speeds, the static pressure will decrease, resulting in a lower airflow.

2. How does airflow change at reduced fan speeds?

Airflow is directly proportional to fan speed. This means that as fan speed decreases, so does the airflow. This is due to the decrease in static pressure, which makes it more difficult for the fan to move air through the system.

3. What are the effects of reduced fan speeds on energy efficiency?

Reducing fan speeds can have a positive impact on energy efficiency. As fan speeds decrease, the power consumption of the fan also decreases. This can result in cost savings on energy bills.

4. Can reduced fan speeds impact the performance of HVAC systems?

Yes, reduced fan speeds can impact the performance of HVAC systems. If the fan speed is too low, the system may not be able to effectively distribute air throughout the space, leading to uneven temperatures and discomfort. It is important to strike a balance between energy efficiency and system performance when adjusting fan speeds.

5. How can I determine the ideal fan speed for my system?

The ideal fan speed for a system will depend on various factors such as the size and layout of the space, the type of fan being used, and the desired level of airflow. It is best to consult with a professional HVAC technician who can assess your system and make recommendations for the optimal fan speed.