Should PF offer a feature to pin favorite posts for easier access?

• Thread starter drizzle
  • Start date
In summary, forum software has some quirks that make it difficult to find and follow subscribed threads. The author of the forum software is not responsible for the software's quirks, and it is not well documented.
drizzle
Gold Member
Hello Greg (and all :biggrin:)

Why not have a feature that allow members (gold members if you wish :devil:) to pin posts that are interesting to them? Probably locate "my favourite posts" link some place in "my PF". Better than doing some search, and you know, memory glitch is horrible. :grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you subscribe to the thread you like? You will have an easy access to the thread through your profile then.

Just make a folder called 'Favorites' in the subscription screen. (Go to the Edit Folders option.)

Borek said:
Why don't you subscribe to the thread you like? You will have an easy access to the thread through your profile then.
Yeah, but after a while, or many subscribed threads in my PF, I lose track of certain posts that I want to check. Some threads even have 100s of posts (like PF RT), it's going to take a long time to find it. That being said, I might not remember where is the post located.. I know. :biggrin:

Enigman said:
Just make a folder called 'Favorites' in the subscription screen. (Go to the Edit Folders option.)

Favorite threads or posts?

Threads. :frown:

Also, I think there's some kind of "bug" in the subscriptions.

Let's say I post to a thread and no one posts after me. If I go to "My PF", it still appears there, sometimes bold.

Shouldn't "My PF" only show subscriptions threads that have NEW posts?

EDIT:

Also, I vote (not that anyone cares) in favour of Gad's suggestion.

You can bookmark single posts. Just click on the post number in the upper right corner of the post and bookmark the page.

Crake said:
Also, I think there's some kind of "bug" in the subscriptions.

Let's say I post to a thread and no one posts after me. If I go to "My PF", it still appears there, sometimes bold.

Shouldn't "My PF" only show subscriptions threads that have NEW posts?

EDIT:

Also, I vote (not that anyone cares) in favour of Gad's suggestion.

Am I the only one having this problem?

Can't you remove the subscriptions to such threads, or even threads you don't like to receive email notifications for?

Gad said:
Can't you remove the subscriptions to such threads, or even threads you don't like to receive email notifications for?

I can, but that's not the issue.

I'd like to have a feature that tells me which subscribed threads have new posts. "MY PF" shows threads that have no new posts. I believe that's a bug, but no one seems to care ://

Visit these threads - do they still show in bold?

Visit these threads following links from the subscribed threads list - do they still show in bold?

Forum software has some quirks, no doubt about it. It is not that we don't care - but we are not authors of this software. While we sometimes can modify the code to suit our needs, debugging it is counterproductive - we don't know the code good enough and it is not documented well enough, so trying to fix something that is not important is a waste of time.

1. What is the purpose of a pinned post?

A pinned post is used to keep important or relevant information at the top of a social media feed or forum. It ensures that the post is easily accessible and does not get lost among other posts.

2. How do I pin a post?

The process of pinning a post may vary depending on the platform you are using, but generally, you can find a "pin" or "sticky" option when creating or editing a post. Clicking on this option will keep the post at the top of the page.

3. Can I unpin a post?

Yes, you can unpin a post at any time. Simply go to the pinned post and look for an option to unpin or unsticky the post. This will remove the post from the top of the page.

4. How long can a post be pinned for?

The duration of a pinned post may vary depending on the platform. Some platforms allow you to pin a post indefinitely, while others may have a time limit, such as a week or a month. It's best to check the platform's guidelines for more specific information.

5. Can I pin multiple posts?

It depends on the platform. Some platforms allow you to pin multiple posts, while others may only allow one pinned post at a time. It's best to check the guidelines of the platform you are using for more information.