What is the Relationship Between Impedance of Dielectric and Material?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relation between the impedance of a dielectric material and the impedance of the material it is sandwiched between. It also explores the ratio between reflected and incident amplitude in a three-layer system. Additionally, the conversation mentions the use of dielectric coatings on glass transmission devices for the purpose of impedance matching and minimizing reflection.
unscientific

Homework Statement

Part(a): Show relation between impedance of dielectric and impedance of material:

Part (b): Show the ratio between reflected and incident amplitude is:

Part (c): Three layers now from left: vacuum, dielectric 2 sandwiched inbetween, and dielectric 1.

Part (d): Give reasons why dielectric coatings are painted on glass transmission devices.

25f3io9.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part(c)
[tex] Z_{in} = \frac {E_{(-l)}}{I_{(-l)}} = \frac {E_i e^{jkl} + E_r e^{-jkl} } {E_i e^{jkl} - E_r e^{-jkl} - E_r e^{-jkl} }Z = \frac { (Z_1 + Z_2)e^{jkl} + (Z_1 - Z_2)e^{-jkl} } {(Z_L + Z) e^{jkl} - (Z_L - Z)e^{-jkl} } Z_2 [/tex]
[tex] Z_{in} = \frac {Z_2^2}{Z_1} [/tex]
[tex] n_2^2 = n_1 [/tex]

To calculate ratio:
Consider boundary at z=0 between Z2 and Z1:
[tex]\frac{E_T}{E_I} = \frac {2Z_1}{Z_1 + Z_2} = \frac {2\sqrt{n_1}}{\sqrt{n_1} + n} [/tex]

Consider Boundary at z = -λ/4 between Z0 and Z2:
[tex]\frac{E_T}{E_I} = \frac {2Z_2}{Z_0 + Z_2} = \frac {2}{\sqrt{n} + 1} [/tex]

Then they are the same! Which is strange because there should be a standing wave in the sandwiched layer, which destructively interferes to poduce a smaller transmitted wave onto boundary z>0..

Part(d)
For impedance matching, so that maximum power is transmitted; no reflection.

Physics news on Phys.org
bumpp

bumpp

bumppp

bbump

1. What is a quarter wave?

A quarter wave refers to the distance that a wave travels in one-quarter of its wavelength.

2. How does a quarter wave affect waves?

A quarter wave can cause waves to reflect off surfaces, or it can eliminate reflections when used in the correct configuration.

3. What is the concept of "no reflection" in quarter wave?

"No reflection" in quarter wave refers to the phenomenon where a wave is completely absorbed and does not reflect back when it encounters a material with a quarter wavelength thickness.

4. How is quarter wave used in practical applications?

Quarter wave is commonly used in the design of antennas and acoustic devices to reduce reflections and improve performance.

5. Can quarter wave be used to eliminate reflections in all situations?

No, quarter wave can only eliminate reflections in specific situations where the wavelength of the wave and the thickness of the material are in a specific ratio.