[Srednicki] Charge Conjugation of Dirac Spinor

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to derive a second equation from a first equation in the context of CPT symmetries of spinors in Srednicki's QFT book. The attempt involved using charge-conjugation operators and matrices, and there was a question about an extra minus sign. A book on Supersymmetry by Partick Labelle is recommended for a better understanding of the topic.
cedricyu803

Homework Statement

I am reading Srednicki's QFT up to CPT symmetries of Spinors
In eq. 40.42 of
http://web.physics.ucsb.edu/~mark/ms-qft-DRAFT.pdf
I attempted to get the 2nd equation:
[tex]C^{-1}\bar{\Psi}C=\Psi^{T}C[/tex]

from the first one:
[tex]C^{-1}\Psi C=\bar{\Psi}^{T}C[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\bar{\Psi}=\Psi^\dagger \beta[/tex]
where numerically [tex]\beta=\gamma^0[/tex]

[tex]C^\dagger=C^{-1}=C^T=-C[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

h.c. of the first equation:
[tex]C^{-1}\Psi^\dagger C=(C^{-1}\Psi C)^\dagger=(C\bar{\Psi}^T)^\dagger
=(C(\Psi^\dagger \beta)^T)^\dagger=(C\beta\Psi^\ast)^\dagger=\Psi^T\beta C^\dagger=\Psi^T C\beta[/tex]

So

[tex]C^{-1}\bar{\Psi}C=C^{-1}\Psi^\dagger \beta C=-C^{-1}\Psi^\dagger C \beta=-(\Psi^T C\beta) \beta=-\Psi^{T}C[/tex]

I got an extra minus sign.

However, if I start from takingg transpose of the first equation I got the equation correctly.

What have I done wrong?

Also, for eq. 40.43
A is some general combination of gamma matrices.
Should it not be
[tex]C^{-1}\bar{\Psi}A\Psi C=\Psi^TA\bar{\Psi}^T[/tex]
?

Why are there C's wedging A??

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
cedricyu803 said:
I attempted to get the 2nd equation:
[tex]C^{-1}\bar{\Psi}C=\Psi^{T}C[/tex]from the first one:
[tex]C^{-1}\Psi C=\bar{\Psi}^{T}C[/tex]
[...]
You seem to be using the same "C" on both sides on the equations. But they should be, e.g.,
$$C^{-1}\Psi C ~=~ \bar{\Psi}^{T} {\mathcal C} ~.$$(The "C" on the rhs is in caligraphic font.)

##{\mathcal C}## is a matrix. ##C## is a unitary representation of the charge-conjugation operator on this Hilbert space.

Maybe a review of ch23 would help to clarify this distinction?

Oh right. I wasn't aware of the difference between the operator and the matrix.
So the charge conjugation of [tex]\beta[/tex] does nothing to it. That's why I got a minus sign.

Thanks very much!

There is a book out by partick labelle. It is a DeMystified book. But this one is really good. Called Supersymmetry. Chapters 2-4 cover Weyl, Majorana and Dirac Spinors. The book does it in a way that it writes out all the components of the matrices even the C one so you can really see what it going on. All the problems have solutions in the back. If you are that far in Srednicki's book you could probably read the three chapters and understand them in about a day. The book is cheap and those sections make it worth the price, since Srednicki will use it more through out the book. I found this book after Srednicki and I wish I had found it first. Then later if you want to do Supersymmetry go ahead. But it cover those topics like no other book I have ever seen, and those three chapters only focus on that subject. I think the level you are at you might want a really good understanding of those topics. Good Luck.

Thanks very much for your recommendation.

I will look for this book in a public library.

I am lucky to have been recommended Srednicki's book by my prof as well, after I told him I was having a hard time Peskin & Schroeder. Hopefully I can finish the whole book by the end of this semester.

Cheers

russelljbarry15 said:
There is a book out by partick labelle. It is a DeMystified book. But this one is really good. Called Supersymmetry. Chapters 2-4 cover Weyl, Majorana and Dirac Spinors. The book does it in a way that it writes out all the components of the matrices even the C one so you can really see what it going on. All the problems have solutions in the back. If you are that far in Srednicki's book you could probably read the three chapters and understand them in about a day. The book is cheap and those sections make it worth the price, since Srednicki will use it more through out the book. I found this book after Srednicki and I wish I had found it first. Then later if you want to do Supersymmetry go ahead. But it cover those topics like no other book I have ever seen, and those three chapters only focus on that subject. I think the level you are at you might want a really good understanding of those topics. Good Luck.

1. What is charge conjugation in the context of Dirac spinors?

Charge conjugation refers to the operation of reversing the sign of all charged quantum numbers, such as electric charge, in a quantum field theory. In the case of Dirac spinors, it involves flipping the sign of the electric charge in the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles.

2. Why is charge conjugation important in particle physics?

Charge conjugation is important because it allows us to describe the behavior of particles and antiparticles in a unified way. By reversing the sign of the charged quantum numbers, we can transform an equation that describes a particle into an equation that describes its antiparticle.

3. How does charge conjugation affect the properties of Dirac spinors?

Charge conjugation has the effect of transforming a left-handed Dirac spinor into a right-handed one, and vice versa. It also changes the sign of the Dirac mass term, but does not affect the spin or other quantum numbers of the particle.

4. Can charge conjugation be observed in experiments?

No, charge conjugation cannot be directly observed in experiments. This is because it only involves a mathematical transformation of the equations describing particles and antiparticles, and does not have a physical effect on the particles themselves.

5. Are there other types of conjugation in physics?

Yes, in addition to charge conjugation, there is also flavor conjugation and parity conjugation. Flavor conjugation involves changing the flavor of a particle, while parity conjugation involves transforming a left-handed particle into a right-handed one. These operations, along with charge conjugation, are known as discrete symmetries in physics.