Feynman diagram for pi-0 decay

In summary, the conversation discussed a question about drawing a Feynman diagram for a specific process involving \pi^{0}(uu* or bb*)→\gamma +\gamma. The person asking the question was unsure about how to label the different particles involved and which fundamental force was involved. They also mentioned doing some reading about Feynman diagrams but still feeling unsure. The conversation then brought up the possibility of drawing a different Feynman diagram for electron-positron annihilation and asked about the person's textbook resources.
Dixanadu

Homework Statement

Hey guys, so I'm new to Feynman diagrams, and I have a few to draw but i'll start with the first one.

I'm being asked to draw the following process: [itex]\pi^{0}[/itex](uu* or bb*)[itex]→\gamma +\gamma[/itex]. I have to "clearly label each quark, lepton and boson, and say which fundamental force is involved".

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have no idea what to do with this. I've done some reading about Feynman diagrams but i don't know how to work with individual quarks...

Physics news on Phys.org
If, instead, you were asked to draw the Feynman diagram for electron-positron annihilation, i.e.,
$$e^- + e^+ ~\to~ \gamma + \gamma ~,
$$are you be able to do that?

If not, then... which textbook(s) are you learning from?

What is a Feynman diagram for pi-0 decay?

A Feynman diagram is a graphical representation of a particle interaction in quantum field theory. In the case of pi-0 decay, the diagram shows the decay of a neutral pion (pi-0) into two photons.

How does the Feynman diagram for pi-0 decay work?

The Feynman diagram for pi-0 decay shows the interaction between the pi-0 particle and the two photons. The pi-0 particle releases energy in the form of two photons, which then travel away from each other. This diagram helps to visualize and calculate the probability of this decay process occurring.

What do the lines and arrows in the Feynman diagram for pi-0 decay represent?

The lines in the diagram represent the particles involved in the interaction, while the arrows represent the direction of their movement. The incoming and outgoing particles are shown on the left and right sides of the diagram, respectively.

How is the Feynman diagram for pi-0 decay related to conservation laws?

The Feynman diagram for pi-0 decay shows the conservation of energy and momentum in the interaction. The energy and momentum of the pi-0 particle before and after the decay must equal the energy and momentum of the two photons. This diagram also shows the conservation of charge, as the pi-0 particle has no charge, while the two photons have opposite charges.

Are there different types of Feynman diagrams for pi-0 decay?

Yes, there are different types of Feynman diagrams for pi-0 decay, depending on the specific particles involved in the interaction. For example, there are diagrams for pi-0 decay into leptons (such as electrons) or hadrons (such as protons). Each diagram shows a different possible outcome for the decay process.