Absorbance Simulation of Gold Octahedra

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the discrete dipole approximation technique to simulate the absorption spectra of gold octahedra when exposed to light. The speaker also mentions their confusion about programming and the use of Fortran and compilers. They reference DDSCAT as a tool for the discrete dipole approximation.
shinobi20
I want to simulate the absorption spectra of gold octahedra when irradiated by a light source, according to the information I have gathered I can use discrete dipole approximation technique because octahedra is not spherical (in contrast to Mie Theory which is applicable to spherical particles). I also saw from some website that DDSCAT can run the discrete dipole approximation. I have no knowledge on programming or anything related to computers so I'm confused on what to do.

Fortran is always mentioned in those information and using some compilers, but I am lost.

DDSCAT https://code.google.com/p/ddscat/

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

1. What is the purpose of simulating absorbance of gold octahedra?

The purpose of simulating absorbance of gold octahedra is to understand the optical properties of these structures, which can be useful in various fields such as nanotechnology, materials science, and biology.

2. How is absorbance simulation of gold octahedra performed?

Absorbance simulation of gold octahedra is typically performed using computational methods, such as finite element analysis or density functional theory, which involve solving mathematical equations and models to predict the behavior of light interacting with the octahedral structures.

3. What factors affect the absorbance of gold octahedra?

The absorbance of gold octahedra is primarily affected by their size, shape, and composition. Other factors such as the surrounding environment, incident light wavelength, and orientation of the octahedra may also play a role.

4. What applications can benefit from absorbance simulation of gold octahedra?

Absorbance simulation of gold octahedra can have various applications, including in the design of more efficient solar cells, development of new materials for sensing and imaging, and understanding the behavior of nanoparticles in biological systems.

5. Are there any limitations to absorbance simulation of gold octahedra?

Yes, there are some limitations to absorbance simulation of gold octahedra. These can include simplifying assumptions made in the simulation models, limitations of the computational methods used, and the need for validation with experimental data. Additionally, the results may not always be directly applicable to real-world situations due to differences in experimental conditions and materials.