C or FORTRAN compiler for Vista?

In summary, the problem with trying to compile C code on Vista is that the compiler won't recognize the code and will give you a lot of errors. However, you can download a compiler that works fine and also download a development environment that includes Fortran.
kde2520
Can anyone help me find a compiler/IDE for FORTRAN or C that can work with Windows Vista? I am a physics student and would like to learn some programing, but my computer runs Vista and I have yet to find a compiler that works.

Otherwise, are there any recommendations for a language I could learn that might be useful to me and that I won't run into such problems with on Vista?

(Please, please resist the impulse to tell me to can Vista and get XP... really...)

Technology news on Phys.org
kde2520 said:
(Please, please resist the impulse to tell me to can Vista and get XP... really...)

No problem... just can Vista and get Linux instead. :biggrin: Or Mac OS X. :biggrin: :biggrin:

kde2520 said:

You know the solution and you are still asking question? Geez...

That being said, look for Visual Studio and Visual C++. No idea about exact licences available at the moment, but there were free academic or entry level versions available few years ago and the current version (whichever it is) has a three month free trial.

Or download Cygwin, which runs fine on Vista, and use the freeware GNU compiler collection, which includes C/C++ and FORTRAN.

- Warren

No problem... just can Vista and get Linux instead. Or Mac OS X.

You know the solution and you are still asking question? Geez...

Yes yes yes, I know I know... if I could keep one of you guru's in my back pocket to help with such things (or maybe talk me out of buying a computer loaded with Vista in the first place), or maybe had more time and money to deal with it myself, I'd be in a different spot. In the meantime I have to use what I've got.

That being said, I have tried Visual Studio/Visual C++ with no luck (trying to compile in C, that is). I've also tried EclipseC and Bloodshed. I will try Cygwin next.

Thanks all.

Cygwin + JGrasp if you don't feel like learning command-line stuff.

kde2520 said:
That being said, I have tried Visual Studio/Visual C++ with no luck (trying to compile in C, that is).

You mean some specific C code, or just any C programs?

http://www.silverfrost.com/11/ftn95/overview.asp

From this link you can dowoload Fortran 95 compiler that works fine on Vista, in addition to plato 3 which is in integrated development environment.
As far as I know, the personal edition for free but it is not supposed to be used for research purposes.

Borek said:
You mean some specific C code, or just any C programs?

No, just any C programs. Took a class in C last spring and this was a big problem. I had to run Eclipse and store my workspace on a flash drive instead of using my own computer.

Just downloaded the FTN95 compiler with Plato 3 that Useful Nucleus suggested. I'll let y'all know how it worked out once I get a chance to mess with it.

Strange, I am using an earlier Visual Studio and no problems with C compilation at all. What error messages did you get?

Are you sure, you know, that the code you're testing the compiler with is valid??

1. What is a C or FORTRAN compiler for Vista?

A C or FORTRAN compiler for Vista is a software program used to translate source code written in the C or FORTRAN programming languages into machine code that can be understood and executed by a computer running the Windows Vista operating system.

2. Why do I need a specific compiler for Vista?

Different operating systems require different compilers because they have different system architectures and code libraries. A C or FORTRAN compiler for Vista is specifically designed to work with the Windows Vista operating system and take advantage of its features and functionality.

3. How do I install a C or FORTRAN compiler on Vista?

To install a C or FORTRAN compiler on Vista, you will need to download the appropriate compiler software from a trusted source and follow the installation instructions provided. Some compilers may also come with an installation wizard that guides you through the process.

4. Are there any free C or FORTRAN compilers for Vista?

Yes, there are some free C and FORTRAN compilers available for Vista, such as GCC for C and GFortran for FORTRAN. These can be downloaded and installed from their respective websites.

5. Can I use a C or FORTRAN compiler for Vista to compile code for other operating systems?

Yes, some C and FORTRAN compilers for Vista also have the ability to cross-compile, meaning they can generate code for other operating systems such as Linux or MacOS. However, this may require additional setup and configuration.