Can filters remove chlorine and fluoride from drinking water?

• Thread starter croghan27
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Filters
In summary, the conversation discusses one person named "Bill" who spends a significant amount of money on various items from health food stores, such as echinacea. He also mentioned having a home filter that removes chlorine and fluoride from his drinking water, which is added by the municipality. The conversation then goes on to discuss the effectiveness of filters in removing these elements, with one person suggesting the use of an activated carbon filter to remove chlorine and providing a link on methods to remove fluoride ions. The conversation also mentions the benefits of fluoridation and the personal experience of one person's brother with fluoride in the drinking water.
croghan27
I am not sure I want to debunk something here - but I would like some more info on something a co-worker spends money upon.

'Bill" spends several hundred dollars a month on various things in health food stores... echinecia just being one. He recently said he has a 'filter' home that takes chlorine and florine out of his drinking water. It is both chlorinated and florinated by the minicipality. He pointed to our filter at work - but it takes out only particulate matter - not tiny atoms.

I do not think that a filter will remove either of these elements - they are just too small, filters work on sizes measured in microns and atoms like these will slip through the mesh.

Does anyone have any ideas here ... perhaps he may have some kind of catalytic filter that actually does do something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for that link, Ivan - I shall send it to work, print it off and we shall discuss it.

There was also a series of links to articles about the benefits of fluoridation.

My only experience with Florine in the drinking water comes from my brother. He had four daughters. The first two of my nieces were born before the municipality fluoridated the water - the second two after.

I know he spent (literally) thousands) on the teeth of his initial two daughters - while with the teeth of second two, he would send them once a year to a dentist for a check, always satisfactory, and continue on ...

What are chlorine and fluoride filters?

Chlorine and fluoride filters are devices that are designed to remove these two chemicals from water. Chlorine is commonly used to disinfect water, while fluoride is added to prevent tooth decay. However, some people may be sensitive to these chemicals or may want to limit their intake, thus the need for specialized filters.

How do chlorine and fluoride filters work?

Chlorine and fluoride filters use various methods to remove these chemicals from water, such as activated carbon, reverse osmosis, or ion exchange. These methods work by trapping the chlorine or fluoride molecules and preventing them from passing through the filter, thus producing cleaner and safer water.

What are the benefits of using chlorine and fluoride filters?

The main benefit of using chlorine and fluoride filters is the removal of potentially harmful chemicals from water. Chlorine can cause skin and eye irritation, while fluoride in high doses can lead to dental fluorosis. By using filters, you can reduce your exposure to these chemicals and potentially improve your overall health.

Do chlorine and fluoride filters remove all contaminants?

No, chlorine and fluoride filters are designed specifically for removing these two chemicals from water. They may also remove some other impurities, but they are not capable of removing all contaminants. It is important to choose a filter that is certified by reputable organizations to ensure its effectiveness.

How often do chlorine and fluoride filters need to be replaced?

The frequency of filter replacement depends on the type and brand of the filter, as well as the amount of water being filtered. Some filters may need to be replaced every few months, while others can last for a year or more. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for replacement to ensure the filter is working effectively.