Gram-Schmidt Process: Find Basis W for Polynomials P_2

• Thread starter Hiche
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Process
In summary, we are tasked with finding an orthogonal basis for W, which is spanned by the polynomials p(x) = 1 + x and q(x) = 1 + 2x^2. Using the Gram-Schmidt process, we can find two orthogonal basis elements, b1 = 1 + x and b2 = 1/2 - x/2 + 2x^2. The inner product used for this space is <p, q> = a_0b_0 + a_1b_1 + a_2b_2, where a_ns and b_ns are the constants of the respective polynomials. This process can be extended to find more than two orthogonal basis elements
Hiche

Homework Statement

The question states that we should use the Gram-Schmidt to find an orthogonal basis for W where W = span {p , q} and p(x) = 1 + x ; q(x) = 1 + 2x^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex]\{b1, b2\}[/itex] be such a basis. Using the G-S process:
[itex]b1 = p = 1 + x[/itex]
[itex]b2 = q - proj^q _b = q - \frac{<q, b1>} { \|b1\|^2} . b1[/itex]

Is this the right way? The answer I got was [itex]\{b1, b2\}[/itex] = [itex]\{1 + x, 1/2 - x/2 + 2x^2\}[/itex]

Note that p and q belong to the set of polynomials of degrees 2 or less (i.e [itex] \in P_2[/itex]) and [itex]< , >[/itex] denotes an inner product of two components.

Also, presume I need to find further basis -- [itex]b3[/itex] -- is there a generality for [itex]bn[/itex] for example?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hiche said:

Homework Statement

The question states that we should use the Gram-Schmidt to find an orthogonal basis for W where W = span {p , q} and p(x) = 1 + x ; q(x) = 1 + 2x^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex]\{b1, b2\}[/itex] be such a basis. Using the G-S process:
[itex]b1 = p = 1 + x[/itex]
[itex]b2 = q - proj^q _b = q - \frac{<q, b1>} { \|b1\|^2} . b1[/itex]

Is this the right way? The answer I got was [itex]\{b1, b2\}[/itex] = [itex]\{1 + x, 1/2 - x/2 + 2x^2\}[/itex]
I haven't checked your work closely, but this is the right idea. You can check orthogonality by taking the inner product of these two functions. BTW, you didn't say what the inner product was for your space - an integral of some kind?
Hiche said:
Note that p and q belong to the set of polynomials of degrees 2 or less (i.e [itex] \in P_2[/itex]) and [itex]< , >[/itex] denotes an inner product of two components.
Again, what is the inner product you are using?
Hiche said:
Also, presume I need to find further basis -- [itex]b3[/itex] -- is there a generality for [itex]bn[/itex] for example?
{b1, b2} is the basis for W, which is a proper subspace of P2.

The dimension of W is 2, so any basis for W will consist of two lin. independent vectors/functions. This means it is not possible to find another basis function, which is what I think you are asking. If you add a vector or function to a basis, the new addition will necessarily be a linear combination of the other elements in the set.

The dimension of P2 is 3, so a basis for this function space will consist of three lin. independent functions.

If you are asking whether the Gram-Schmidt process can be extended to find more than two orthogonal basis elements - yes, it can. I'm sure you can find an article on wikipedia about this.

Oh right. The inner product is defined on [itex]P_2[/itex] as such: [itex]<p, q> = a_0b_0 + a_1b_1 + a_2b_2[/itex] where [itex]a_ns[/itex] are the constants of [itex]p(x)[/itex] and [itex]b_ns[/itex] are the constants of [itex]q(x)[/itex].

1. What is the Gram-Schmidt Process and how does it work?

The Gram-Schmidt Process is a method for finding an orthonormal basis for a subspace of a vector space. It involves taking a set of linearly independent vectors and iteratively transforming them into an orthogonal set of vectors. This process is used to simplify calculations and solve problems in linear algebra.

2. Why is the Gram-Schmidt Process important in polynomial calculations?

The Gram-Schmidt Process is important in polynomial calculations because it allows us to find an orthonormal basis for a subspace of polynomials. This can simplify calculations involving polynomials and help us find solutions to problems involving polynomial functions.

3. Can you explain the steps of the Gram-Schmidt Process for finding an orthonormal basis for polynomials?

The steps for the Gram-Schmidt Process in the context of finding an orthonormal basis for polynomials involve taking a set of polynomials and using the process to transform them into a set of orthogonal polynomials. This is done by first finding the inner product between each polynomial and then using this to find the orthogonal complement of each polynomial. The resulting set of orthogonal polynomials can then be normalized to create an orthonormal basis.

4. What are the benefits of using the Gram-Schmidt Process in polynomial calculations?

The benefits of using the Gram-Schmidt Process in polynomial calculations include simplifying calculations and solving problems involving polynomials. It can also help us understand the relationships between different polynomials and their orthogonal complements. Additionally, using an orthonormal basis can make it easier to find the coefficients of a polynomial in a given basis.

5. Are there any limitations to the Gram-Schmidt Process in polynomial calculations?

The Gram-Schmidt Process may not always be applicable in polynomial calculations, as it requires the set of polynomials to be linearly independent. In some cases, it may be difficult to find a set of linearly independent polynomials. Additionally, the process may become computationally expensive for larger sets of polynomials. In such cases, other methods may be more efficient.