What is the Force of Radiation Resistance?

In summary, Feynman's Nobel lecture on the development of the space-time view of QED discusses the issue of an electron not acting on itself but only on other electrons. He introduces the concept of the force of radiation resistance and its role in explaining the energy loss of an accelerating electron. This force was identified as the action of the electron on itself, but it created problems for the idea that an electron does not act on itself. Feynman suggests further reading on this topic in his book, The Feynman Lectures on Physics, as well as through online resources.
arhanbezbora
Hi,

I was just reading feynman's nobel lecture the other day ("The Development of the Space-time view of qed") where he discusses the problems associated with his initial view that an electron does not act on itself but merely acts on other electrons. He talks about the "force of radiation resistance", this is shown below:

Then I went to graduate school and somewhere along the line I learned what was wrong with the idea that an electron does not act on itself. When you accelerate an electron it radiates energy and you have to do extra work to account for that energy. The extra force against which this work is done is called the force of radiation resistance. The origin of this extra force was identified in those days, following Lorentz, as the action of the electron itself. The first term of this action, of the electron on itself, gave a kind of inertia (not quite relativistically satisfactory). But that inertia-like term was infinite for a point-charge. Yet the next term in the sequence gave an energy loss rate, which for a point-charge agrees exactly with the rate you get by calculating how much energy is radiated. So, the force of radiation resistance, which is absolutely necessary for the conservation of energy would disappear if I said that a charge could not act on itself.

I was a little confused as to what he meant here and what this force of radiation resistance really is. I would appreciate it if someone could explain this to me, both the mathematics behind it and the physical interpretation and also why this created problems for the idea that an electron does not act on itself. Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
For a brief discussion of this topic, in classical terms, see The Feynman Lectures on Physics, Volume II, chapter 28 Electromagnetic Mass - especially sections 28-4 and 28-5.

If you google for 'electron self-energy' you may find some useful links.

ok thanks, i have the feynman lectures so ill read up on it :)

1. What is Feynman Radiation Resistance?

Feynman Radiation Resistance refers to the phenomenon in which charged particles, such as electrons, experience a resistance to motion when traveling through a medium due to the emission of electromagnetic radiation.

2. Who discovered Feynman Radiation Resistance?

The concept of Feynman Radiation Resistance was first proposed by physicist Richard Feynman in 1937. He observed that when charged particles move through a medium, they experience a deceleration due to the emission of electromagnetic radiation.

3. How does Feynman Radiation Resistance affect particle accelerators?

Feynman Radiation Resistance plays a major role in particle accelerators, as it limits the maximum energy that a particle can gain. As particles travel through the accelerator, they emit radiation, which causes them to lose energy and eventually reach a maximum speed.

4. Can Feynman Radiation Resistance be overcome?

Yes, Feynman Radiation Resistance can be overcome by using various techniques such as increasing the strength of the magnetic field or using materials that have a lower radiation resistance. However, these solutions may also have their own limitations.

5. How does Feynman Radiation Resistance impact everyday life?

Feynman Radiation Resistance is an important concept in understanding the behavior of charged particles, such as electrons, in various mediums. It has applications in fields such as particle physics, nuclear engineering, and medical imaging. Without understanding this phenomenon, many modern technologies, such as particle accelerators and radiation therapy, would not be possible.