Were There Ever Empirical Reasons to Bring Human Consciousness into QM?

In summary, the conversation discusses the interpretations of quantum mechanics, specifically in regards to the role of human consciousness in measurement. While Bohr's interpretation suggests that classical physics is subjugated to quantum mechanics and that the human consciousness plays a role in how we talk about and perceive the behavior of particles, other interpretations such as von Neumann's suggest that there is a cut-off point between the mind and body where collapse occurs. The conversation also touches on the idea of solipsism and the use of consciousness in physics, as well as the possibility of other forms of consciousness in animals and plants. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the ongoing debate and exploration of the meaning and implications of quantum mechanics.
jon4444
I'm wondering whether physicists in the 1930's ever had experimental reason to interpret, for example, Schrödinger's cat, as a true paradox (because of the role of a human observer). Why didn't they default to Bohr's interpretation, that an interaction with a geiger-counter, or any classically determined system, counts as an "observation."

Bohr's interpretation would seem to be the common-sense way of looking at the situation--interpretations requiring human-consciousness to be involved (which you can still frequently see in the popular press) would seem to reflect some sort of solipsism on the part of the interpreter. (In much the same way that early religious leaders insisted that the universe had to revolve around the planet where they existed.)

Physics news on Phys.org
But Bohr never said the human consciousness wasn't involved, he merely said that we needn't put the consciousness in separately from how we already do physics. I would say that Bohr, and anyone, can see fairly obviously that the human consciousness is indeed involved in how we do physics, but that is as true classically as in quantum mechanics. Bohr's point was simply that quantum mechanics is subjugated to classical physics, because we need to use our everyday understanding of how classical measurement apparatuses operate before we can even begin to formulate a testable version of quantum mechanics. This makes the paradox go away, because Bohr says that physics is not about what the cat is really doing, it is about what we think the cat is really doing, how we talk about cat behavior in the first place. That's where the human consciousness/intelligence/perceptions comes in (I won't attempt to distinguish those terms since we know so little about them).

Here's a response I gave to a similar question in another thread:
lugita15 said:
The reason there is still disagreement as to what constitutes measurement is that it makes no experimental difference according to quantum mechanics. The way QM works under the Copenhagen interpretation is that you have to split the world into two parts, the “observer” or measurement device, and the “observed” or the particles you’re measuring.

The measurement device is assumed to behave classically. The particles in the observed system are in a superposition of states described by the wave function which keeps evolving until it interacts with the classical measurement device. The question is where to draw the line. You could consider a photon to be the observed system and an atom to be the measuring device, but you can also consider the photon-and-atom system as in a superposition of states, and take a Geiger counter to be the measurement device. So there is this von-Neumann chain, going from elementary particles to Geiger counters to human beings, and we have to decide where to cut it off.

Von Neumann proved in his famous "Bible" of QM that regardless of where you cut the chain, you would get the same experimental results. But he argued that wherever you cut the chain you have things made out of particles on each side of the cut, so there’s no principled way to place the cut in the middle. So he decided that you should place the cut between the human mind and the human body, because he believed that the mind is non-physical. Hence "consciousness causes collapse" was born. Nowadays, the most popular view is decoherence, where there is no real collapse, it's just that when you have a large number of particles in the environment interacting with the system, the wave function becomes smeared out and looks like it has collapsed. So decoherence gives us a reasonable place to cut the chain, when the number of particles involved reaches a critical number so that interference effect become negligible.

Thanks. This sort of validates the sense I've been getting that the Von Neumann's of the Physics world in fact do exhibit some of the same Solipsism as that of religious fundamentalists. Also, some of this obsessive interpreting regarding QM effects feels pretty sterile (since it has no predictive value).

But there's a funny thing about thinking (obsessing?) about what your theories actually mean-- it can be used to find the problems in them, and indeed, it often has. We're not really in contact with the problems with quantum mechanics, but someday we will be, and it might help a lot to have thought about this stuff.

Why human consciousness? Why not just generalize all consciousness since its all only possible because of matter?

questionpost said:
Why human consciousness? Why not just generalize all consciousness since its all only possible because of matter?
Because human consciousness is the only one that is being used to do physics, that we know of. What we know of other consciousnesses is only insofar as they mimic ours-- nothing else.

Ken G said:
Because human consciousness is the only one that is being used to do physics, that we know of. What we know of other consciousnesses is only insofar as they mimic ours-- nothing else.

Animals use math and physics all the time, like when they are traveling distance or swimming or calculating where something will be. Even plants use math and physics to grow in the shapes they do. Humans are just the only ones who organize that information in terms of words rather than solely subconsciousactions and feelings.

questionpost said:
Animals use math and physics all the time, like when they are traveling distance or swimming or calculating where something will be. Even plants use math and physics to grow in the shapes they do. Humans are just the only ones who organize that information in terms of words rather than solely subconsciousactions and feelings.

Interesting point.

Kind of brings up the discussion, is their any difference between human consciousness and animal consciousness? Which will ultimately lead to religious talk. And whenever religious people have a better explanation than the science, science hasn't advanced enough yet to decide :)

jon4444 said:
I'm wondering whether physicists in the 1930's ever had experimental reason to interpret, for example, Schrödinger's cat, as a true paradox (because of the role of a human observer). Why didn't they default to Bohr's interpretation, that an interaction with a geiger-counter, or any classically determined system, counts as an "observation."

Bohr's interpretation would seem to be the common-sense way of looking at the situation--interpretations requiring human-consciousness to be involved (which you can still frequently see in the popular press) would seem to reflect some sort of solipsism on the part of the interpreter. (In much the same way that early religious leaders insisted that the universe had to revolve around the planet where they existed.)

I think very recently physicist Penrose is bringing up QM to explain consciousness. He has the nagging problem of explaining how does microscopic quantum world relates to ourselves, the pathways to the humans.

I personally think our consciousness comes from our constituent matters, cells, super molecules, molecules, atoms, and finally elementary particles. That is why QM is emphasized in consciousness. This statement is equivalent to saying 'matters or even elementary particles may have certain type (unlike ours) of consciousness. Our consciousness is a collective 'consciousness' (for the lack of correct word) of particles.

Unfortunately our current Math is not equipped to uncover this mystery. Modern physics heavily rely on Math, and this Math is totally materialistic, void of any 'sensory system' (again, for the lack of better words). Probably quantum Math with its Wave Function come a little closer to a consciousness world but still far away.

Neandethal00 said:
I personally think our consciousness comes from our constituent matters, cells, super molecules, molecules, atoms, and finally elementary particles. That is why QM is emphasized in consciousness. This statement is equivalent to saying 'matters or even elementary particles may have certain type (unlike ours) of consciousness. Our consciousness is a collective 'consciousness' (for the lack of correct word) of particles.

I've come across some interesting arguments that do agree very much with this position; that is, in order to explain how the mental/consciousness/subjectivity/qualia emerge from "matter", there must be some fundamental change in our conception of "matter" or "physical", perhaps by a future physics, etc. But as per the "hard" problem, there's no hint of how one can get subjectivity out a complex network of neural connections, etc. (as presently understood). The gap between mind and matter seems immense. They just don't seem to mesh. Consciousness seems to “provide us with a kind of ‘window’ on to our "brain", making possible a transparent grasp of a tiny corner of a materiality that is in general opaque to us" but we haven't the slightest clue of how to mesh it together with what we presently call "matter". An interesting Lockwood passage on this topic:
Do we therefore have no genuine knowledge of the intrinsic character of the physical world? So it might seem. But, according to the line of thought I am now pursuing, we do, in a very limited way, have access to content in the material world as opposed merely to abstract casual structure, since there is a corner of the physical world that we know, not merely by inference from the deliverances of our five sense, but because we are that corner. It is the bit within our skulls, which we know by introspection. In being aware, for example, of the qualia that seemed so troublesome for the materialist, we glimpse the intrinsic nature of what, concretely, realizes the formal structure that a correct physics would attribute to the matter of our brains. In awareness, we are, so to speak, getting an insider's look at our own brain activity.
Neutral Monism
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/neutral-monism/#7.2

I'm not sure what to make of these arguments but in general I think I agree with Strawson's/Russell's/Eddington's statements that are skeptical about progress in this area happening primarily because mathematics (the language of physics) cannot possibly do that:

This is the “structuralist” point familiar in the 1920s and 1930s (now severely underappreciated outside the philosophy of science, but reviving). It consists in the observation that the propositions of physics are equations, equations that contain numbers, terms that refer without describing, many other mathematical symbols, and nothing else; and that these equations, being what they are, can only tell us about the abstract or mathematically characterizable structure of matter or the physical world without telling us anything else about the nature of the thing that exemplifies the structure. Even in the case of spacetime, as opposed to matter or force—to the doubtful extent that these three things can be separated—it’s unclear whether we have any knowledge of its intrinsic nature beyond its abstract or mathematically representable structure.
Mental Reality
http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/chapters/0262513102pref2.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
"Unfortunately our current Math is not equipped to uncover this mystery. Modern physics heavily rely on Math, and this Math is totally materialistic, void of any 'sensory system' (again, for the lack of better words). Probably quantum Math with its Wave Function come a little closer to a consciousness world but still far away."

I like this way of thinking about it, as it seems natural to assume consciousness must rely on some as-yet-discovered physical phenomenon (since the essential aspect of human consciousness--being aware of your awareness--doesn't correlate with any known phenomenon.)

questionpost said:
When you say "animals use math", what you mean is that you recognize what they are doing based on something you do. If you had no idea what math was, you'd have no idea what those words mean. So you are using your own understanding of what math is, that's what I mean by only knowing animals by seeing them as some kind of versions of ourselves. The fact is, we have no idea what animals minds are actually doing when we claim they are doing math, but we suspect that they are doing something vaguely similar-- but only because they are already similar (our brains evolved along similar lines).

bohm2 said:
I've come across some interesting arguments that do agree very much with this position; that is, in order to explain how the mental/consciousness/subjectivity/qualia emerge from "matter", there must be some fundamental change in our conception of "matter" or "physical", perhaps by a future physics, etc. But as per the "hard" problem, there's no hint of how one can get subjectivity out a complex network of neural connections, etc. (as presently understood). The gap between mind and matter seems immense.
And indeed we probably should never have expected them to mesh, except in the dualistic way that the momentum and position of a particle mesh. The common idea that thought "emerges from" the actions of the material brain is an impossible claim to demonstrate, because every iota of language we have to discuss the material brain comes from thought. So the common claim is that the material world causes thought to occur, and thought describes what the material world is. Eliminating the middle man, this is the claim that material describes, or understands, itself. But I can equally frame it the other way around, and say that thought causes the material world to occur, which then in turn is described by thought. Either way, all we get is a tiger chasing its own tail, so it is obviously impossible to distinguish which is the tiger and which is the tail. Indeed, the entire tiger/tail dichotomy is seen to be bogus-- all we have is a tiger-and-tail relationship that is completely indeterminate about which is which. And we expect the tiger to mesh with its tail? Then you'd have a tiger chasing itself, which is reductionism gone mad-- complete monism is absent of meaning, there needs to be some kind of contrast or tension to have anything nontrivial.

Last edited:
Ken G said:
When you say "animals use math", what you mean is that you recognize what they are doing based on something you do. If you had no idea what math was, you'd have no idea what those words mean. So you are using your own understanding of what math is, that's what I mean by only knowing animals by seeing them as some kind of versions of ourselves. The fact is, we have no idea what animals minds are actually doing when we claim they are doing math, but we suspect that they are doing something vaguely similar-- but only because they are already similar (our brains evolved along similar lines).
We actually have a lot of idea on what animals minds do because we can see what chemicals exist in their brain and what they get released in response to as well as see which parts of their brain activate in response to certain things. We've actually found through chemical testing that even fish release endorphin into their blood stream when harmed and even that the same parts of the brain responsible for fear activate at the same time in a person and another animal in the same situation. If anything, animals minds practically are human minds but with different chemical responses and cognitive limitations. You can still see that 1+1=2 without putting the information into words, or even see the slope of a line by noticing how much it goes up by in comparison to how much it goes forward by. There's tons of math that animals and even plants do, just not in terms of words. Things can still exist in specific values without being symbols on a piece of paper.

questionpost said:
We actually have a lot of idea on what animals minds do because we can see what chemicals exist in their brain and what they get released in response to as well as see which parts of their brain activate in response to certain things.
Yes but that's just my point. We have no idea what chemicals like that "should" do, we only know what they do in our own brains, because we can correlate two things we understand-- we understand the chemicals, and we understand what our brains are doing (from the internal perspective). Remove either of those pillars and we have nothing that we could call understanding, we have only correlations (when chemical X does Y, animal A does B, but we can say that for a stimulant or a pesticide). None of that can be called "using math" or even "thinking", because we only know what those things are because we do them. Indeed the very definitions of these terms reveal the extent to which we rely on our own minds to give meaning to these terms.
We've actually found through chemical testing that even fish release endorphin into their blood stream when harmed and even that the same parts of the brain responsible for fear activate at the same time in a person and another animal in the same situation.
And that should not be too surprising-- fish brains and human brains evolved along similar lines. I'm not saying fish think differently from us (we should expect both similarities and differences), I'm saying that everything we can say about how fish think relates directly to how we think, because that's how we understand what thought (and math) are. So we are always looking in the mirror to some extent, and that's not a bad thing-- it's just how we understand.

Ken G said:
I'm saying that everything we can say about how fish think relates directly to how we think, because that's how we understand what thought (and math) are.

But if we compare our thinking to what we see in animal behavior, I think it's fair to draw general conclusions on basic mental processes common to both. For example, when I watch my cat follow a familiar path to get to a place to hunt, he's clearly using some mental process that has a kinship to my following a "train of thought"--I'm just using language and the self-awareness of "concepts," etc. for the cat's equivalent of markers in the environment. It seems fair to conclude that a core aspect of consciousness, common to both me and my cat (i.e., "mammals") is that of "following a trail."

As far as QM goes, you could extend this to both me and my cat take in stimuli and draw some sort of conclusion based on characteristics of the stimuli (e.g., specific wavelength of light). Thus, cat consciousness, at this level, is roughly equivalent to human consciousness.

bohm2 said:
I've come across some interesting arguments that do agree very much with this position; that is, in order to explain how the mental/consciousness/subjectivity/qualia emerge from "matter", there must be some fundamental change in our conception of "matter" or "physical", perhaps by a future physics, etc.

The quotes you used in your post are more interesting than the materials in the Links.
People have been thinking about the source of our consciousness for centuries. Centuries ago science was not deveoped enough, as a result the topic of consciousness went to the philosophers. This made all answers concerning consciousness very subjective.

Now consciousness is not philosophy anymore, it is Science. It is necessary to take a scientific approach if we intend to discover the source of our consciousness. That brings up my grief about mathematics.

I'm surprised very few scientists spoke out about the limitation of mathematics. Solution of an equation will always contain ONLY the variables used in the equation. You can solve a complicated differential equation, its solution will contain ONLY the variables, coefficients used in the equation. In other words, a mathematical equation (solution) can not 'invent' or 'discover' or 'introduce' a NEW variable (or even a 'constant', which always depends on the values of the variables used) in the solution. One day I took one look at one of Einstein's equations for General Relativity. I immediately knew where the idea of Dark Matter and Dark Energy had come from.

So, it boils down to how truly our mathematical model represent a system. But the system we model is generally physical, with known physical properties. Our mathematics will never be able to discover unknown properties of the system. If consciousness is a 'field', unlike electric, magnetic, or gravitational field, a mathematical model for consciousness will produce a solution for the field in terms of physical properties of humans. Which will not tell us how to detect the 'field'.

I'm hoping QM would evolve. I do not know the current states of QM, I took graduate level QM with dinosaurs and never looked back. If wavefunctions evolve and can model complex phenomena, someday QM may open a path to understanding ourselves. But I also fear there is a huge discontinuity between particle's unknown property we are looking for and our physical sensory system.

Ken G said:
Yes but that's just my point. We have no idea what chemicals like that "should" do, we only know what they do in our own brains, because we can correlate two things we understand-- we understand the chemicals, and we understand what our brains are doing (from the internal perspective). Remove either of those pillars and we have nothing that we could call understanding, we have only correlations (when chemical X does Y, animal A does B, but we can say that for a stimulant or a pesticide). None of that can be called "using math" or even "thinking", because we only know what those things are because we do them. Indeed the very definitions of these terms reveal the extent to which we rely on our own minds to give meaning to these terms.
And that should not be too surprising-- fish brains and human brains evolved along similar lines. I'm not saying fish think differently from us (we should expect both similarities and differences), I'm saying that everything we can say about how fish think relates directly to how we think, because that's how we understand what thought (and math) are. So we are always looking in the mirror to some extent, and that's not a bad thing-- it's just how we understand.

I;m losing sight of the point of your argument...
Fish can collapse wave functions just as humans can...

questionpost said:
Look at my post. It's largely a matter of interpretational preference what collapses wave functions and what doesn't. It's perfectly consistent to believe that only human consciousness can collapse the wave function.

jon4444 said:
But if we compare our thinking to what we see in animal behavior, I think it's fair to draw general conclusions on basic mental processes common to both.
That is exactly what I'm saying. Whenever we talk about "thought" or "using math", what we are doing is trafficking in general conclusions about processes common to our minds and whatever other minds we are including. This means that we are always looking in the mirror when we talk about what thought is.

questionpost said:
The way this emerged was that I was talking about human consciousness, and was asked why limit it to that. I said because that's what we understand. To make the point that other animals can have a consciousness that we understand, on the basis that we understand it when it is similar to our own, is not refuting this core point.

Ken G said:
That is exactly what I'm saying. Whenever we talk about "thought" or "using math", what we are doing is trafficking in general conclusions about processes common to our minds and whatever other minds we are including. This means that we are always looking in the mirror when we talk about what thought is.
If you want to take this tack, then it's a short route to not believing that other people are conscious.

lugita15 said:
Look at my post. It's largely a matter of interpretational preference what collapses wave functions and what doesn't. It's perfectly consistent to believe that only human consciousness can collapse the wave function.
Right, and even if one chooses not to hold this, which as you say is also perfectly consistent, it does not rescue us from the need to account for consciousness somewhere in the program. That's because the consciousness is where we register that collapse has occurred, even if we hold that it actually occurred earlier in the "chain." There just is no chain without the consciousness to anchor it. The reason I mention this is that there are two very separate ways that consciousness can matter to collapse-- one is that it can be connected to the physical cause of collapse, and another (which is the approach I take) is to say that there is no specific "cause of collapse" anywhere in that chain, there is merely the fact that the chain exhibits collapse, and the chain is anchored by consciousness, so consciousness plays a role even if we do not hold that it is a physical cause.

An analogous situation is in Doppler shift of light-- it is neither the motion of the source nor the motion of the receiver that "causes" a Doppler shift, it is the relative motion, and one does not have relative motion until one can anchor that relative motion on some kind of receiver. Without the anchor, there is no cause of the Doppler shift, but one does not say that the motion of the receiver causes the shift.

Ken G said:
Right, and even if one chooses not to hold this, which as you say is also perfectly consistent, it does not rescue us from the need to account for consciousness somewhere in the program. That's because the consciousness is where we register that collapse has occurred, even if we hold that it actually occurred earlier in the "chain." There just is no chain without the consciousness to anchor it. The reason I mention this is that there are two very separate ways that consciousness can matter to collapse-- one is that it can be connected to the physical cause of collapse, and another (which is the approach I take) is to say that there is no specific "cause of collapse" anywhere in that chain, there is merely the fact that the chain exhibits collapse, and the chain is anchored by consciousness, so consciousness plays a role even if we do not hold that it is a physical cause.
It is of course a perfectly acceptable interpretation to cut the Von Neumann chain off at consciousness, but it is not required by the theory of quantum mechanics to have a special place for consciousness. You can have a race of robots doing quantum experiments on an island never observed by humans, and there's nothing wrong in thinking that the robots are collapsing the wave function. We don't need to be in the Von Neumann chain at all.

lugita15 said:

I's not really consistant at all because if animals didn't and all of their particles always existed in superposition no matter what they would be a tiny bit different. If a simple machine can collapse a wave function, surely animals can. In fact, it's more than illogical to think animals can't considering both humans and the rest of the animal world are made from the same building blocks and chemicals all with similar biological structures. All animals have a brain of which it can be proven that signals are sent to, and if signals are sent from the outside world to it then it is capable of measurement. This is how we know machines are capable of measurement, unless machines don't actually collapse a wave function in which case we have a few major problems with our understanding of QM and every single quantum physicist is non-sense.

Ken G said:
The way this emerged was that I was talking about human consciousness, and was asked why limit it to that. I said because that's what we understand. To make the point that other animals can have a consciousness that we understand, on the basis that we understand it when it is similar to our own, is not refuting this core point.

Sure, but that's like saying black holes don't exist because we don't actually "know" what they look like because we've never direcly seen one.

lugita15 said:
It's perfectly consistent to believe that only human consciousness can collapse the wave function.

Well, this gets back to my original question. Say you had a double slit experiment, that creates a now-familiar interference pattern on inked paper. Are you saying that it's reasonable to interpret results as each time a human looks at the paper, he creates the interference pattern (since the human is bound in the same system as the inked paper and the particles/waves going through the slit)?

If this were true, shouldn't we expect that after a few billion humans looked at the interference pattern, some would see a slightly different pattern of stripes? (I.e., isn't this testable at some level?)

And to bring furry pets back in, what if you trained a dog to bark when he saw a certain pattern of stripes--are we to go so far as to bind the human hearing the bark into the same system?

lugita15 said:
It is of course a perfectly acceptable interpretation to cut the Von Neumann chain off at consciousness, but it is not required by the theory of quantum mechanics to have a special place for consciousness. You can have a race of robots doing quantum experiments on an island never observed by humans, and there's nothing wrong in thinking that the robots are collapsing the wave function. We don't need to be in the Von Neumann chain at all.
Ah, but we do-- look at your own words: "nothing wrong in thinking that the robots are collapsing..." Who is doing that thinking that there is nothing wrong in? Where is that thinking happening?

questionpost said:
Sure, but that's like saying black holes don't exist because we don't actually "know" what they look like because we've never direcly seen one.
I would prefer to say it that the existence, or non-existence, of black holes depends on our participation in the process of doing physics. This is actually perfectly clear-- where does the concept of a "black hole" come from anyway? It makes no difference if we see them or not, what matters is that we conceptualize them. We participate in their existence, whether we choose to hold that they really exist, or we choose to hold that they don't.

jon4444 said:
And to bring furry pets back in, what if you trained a dog to bark when he saw a certain pattern of stripes--are we to go so far as to bind the human hearing the bark into the same system?
One would simply say that if we regard a dog consciousness as similar to our own, then the dog collapses it, and if we don't, then it collapses when the human hears the dog bark. What experiment will you do that could refute that view?

jon4444 said:
Well, this gets back to my original question. Say you had a double slit experiment, that creates a now-familiar interference pattern on inked paper. Are you saying that it's reasonable to interpret results as each time a human looks at the paper, he creates the interference pattern (since the human is bound in the same system as the inked paper and the particles/waves going through the slit)?

If this were true, shouldn't we expect that after a few billion humans looked at the interference pattern, some would see a slightly different pattern of stripes? (I.e., isn't this testable at some level?)

No, consciousness hardly has anything to do with it, it's statistics and math. No matter who's looking at what (or vica versa), particles will have the wave mechanics that they do. Sin(45)=sqrt(2)/2 or 1+1=2 is not based on who is measuring it, it's based on the fundamental logic of what makes a value that specific value. When wave-functions collapse, it's the same principal as making a mathematical statement true, which will be true regardless of who is looking at it. If there is something to measure a particle's position, it's the same equation for any observer (not including Einstein physics, but like if there was multiple species of animals in the same room), so you will yield the same statistical results for each observer.

Last edited:
It had to do with Von Neumann's analysis in the Mathematical Foundations Of QM. He had an argument that seemed to prove the collapse occurred in the mind. Challenging a mathematician of Von Neumann's caliber is no easy task and it took a while for Bell and others to find the 'errors'.

Thanks
Bill

jon4444 said:

The claim of Von Neumann and others is the system and observer (or observers if more than one person views the outcome at the same time) causes the collapse - once it has occurred then its set in concrete and all subsequent observers at later times will observe the same thing if the observation left a record like the live or dead cat in the Schrodinger's cat experiment. To get around the problem you simply need an interpretation that avoids the issue such as the Ensemble Interpretation or Consistent Histories - but all of them suck in their own way - however to me the Ensemble Interpretation sucks the least - but that is a matter of taste.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
It had to do with Von Neumann's analysis in the Mathematical Foundations Of QM. He had an argument that seemed to prove the collapse occurred in the mind. Challenging a mathematician of Von Neumann's caliber is no easy task and it took a while for Bell and others to find the 'errors'.
In fact, what Von Neumann proved rigorously in his famous book was not that wave function collapse must occur in the mind, but rather that it makes no experimental difference at what stage you assume the wave function collapses. And then after he proves the theorem, he makes the philosophical argument that if you just believe the wave function collapses at some arbitrary stage, then you just have a set of particles (the apparatus) collapsing the wave function of another set of particles (the system under observation) - and pretty much every possible stage looks the same way. Thus there is no principled way to select one of these stages as being when collapse occurs, so he argues that collapse should occur at a stage that is special. He settles on this special stage being the interaction of the mind and the brain, because bs believed that the brain is physical but the mind isn't.

But they key point is, you have to distinguish between his formal proof, which as far as I kniow is unimpeachable, and the philosophical discussion that follows.

lugita15 said:
But they key point is, you have to distinguish between his formal proof, which as far as I kniow is unimpeachable, and the philosophical discussion that follows.

That's the whole issue - his mathematics was unimpeachable as you would expect of a mathematician of his caliber - it the interpretation that's the problem. The same with Bell's rebuttal of Von Neumanns proof no hidden variables are possible - the proof was unimpeachable - it was the hidden assumptions that went into it that was the issue. As Bell said once you understood that then you realize the proof, while correct, was silly.

Thanks
Bill

<h2>1. What is the connection between human consciousness and quantum mechanics?</h2><p>The connection between human consciousness and quantum mechanics is a highly debated topic in the scientific community. Some scientists argue that consciousness plays a fundamental role in the collapse of the quantum wave function, while others believe that consciousness is simply a byproduct of the brain's neural activity and has no direct influence on quantum events.</p><h2>2. Can human consciousness be measured or observed in quantum systems?</h2><p>There is currently no scientific evidence that human consciousness can be measured or observed in quantum systems. While some studies have shown correlations between human intention and the behavior of quantum particles, these results are not widely accepted and require further research to be validated.</p><h2>3. Is there any empirical evidence to support the idea that human consciousness affects quantum events?</h2><p>At this time, there is no empirical evidence that definitively supports the idea that human consciousness affects quantum events. While there have been some intriguing studies and theories, the majority of the scientific community remains skeptical and more research is needed to fully understand the relationship between consciousness and quantum mechanics.</p><h2>4. How does the concept of consciousness fit into the mathematical equations of quantum mechanics?</h2><p>The concept of consciousness is not currently included in the mathematical equations of quantum mechanics. While some scientists have proposed theories that attempt to incorporate consciousness into the equations, these theories are still highly debated and have not been widely accepted by the scientific community.</p><h2>5. What implications could the role of human consciousness in quantum mechanics have for our understanding of reality?</h2><p>If it is proven that human consciousness does play a role in the behavior of quantum particles, it could have significant implications for our understanding of reality. It could suggest that our perception and observation of the world around us has a direct influence on the physical world, challenging traditional notions of cause and effect and the objective nature of reality.</p>

1. What is the connection between human consciousness and quantum mechanics?

The connection between human consciousness and quantum mechanics is a highly debated topic in the scientific community. Some scientists argue that consciousness plays a fundamental role in the collapse of the quantum wave function, while others believe that consciousness is simply a byproduct of the brain's neural activity and has no direct influence on quantum events.

2. Can human consciousness be measured or observed in quantum systems?

There is currently no scientific evidence that human consciousness can be measured or observed in quantum systems. While some studies have shown correlations between human intention and the behavior of quantum particles, these results are not widely accepted and require further research to be validated.

3. Is there any empirical evidence to support the idea that human consciousness affects quantum events?

At this time, there is no empirical evidence that definitively supports the idea that human consciousness affects quantum events. While there have been some intriguing studies and theories, the majority of the scientific community remains skeptical and more research is needed to fully understand the relationship between consciousness and quantum mechanics.

4. How does the concept of consciousness fit into the mathematical equations of quantum mechanics?

The concept of consciousness is not currently included in the mathematical equations of quantum mechanics. While some scientists have proposed theories that attempt to incorporate consciousness into the equations, these theories are still highly debated and have not been widely accepted by the scientific community.

5. What implications could the role of human consciousness in quantum mechanics have for our understanding of reality?

If it is proven that human consciousness does play a role in the behavior of quantum particles, it could have significant implications for our understanding of reality. It could suggest that our perception and observation of the world around us has a direct influence on the physical world, challenging traditional notions of cause and effect and the objective nature of reality.