How to Receive Data from Electronic Compass using Simulink Serial Connection

In summary, to receive data from an electronic compass in Simulink, you can use the Serial Receive block with the appropriate serial settings and then extract the desired data using the String Subset block.
Henkjaap
I'm trying to receive data from a electronic compass in simulink. The compass sends data using the NMEA protocol through USB using a serial connection.

The serial output format is: 4800 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity

and uses the following sentences:

$HCHDG,hhh.h,,,,*ssss<CR><LF>

The only info I need is the heading (so the hhh.h number in the sentence above).

I try using the serial block (serial configuration and serial read) but this only gives me zeroes when trying to read. Any suggestions how to get this into simulink?

In MATLAB it goes perfectly, with fopen( ) and then fscanf( ).

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the Serial Receive block to receive data from your electronic compass. This block can be configured to use the same serial settings as your compass (4800 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity). Once you have the data in your Simulink model, you can use the String Subset block to extract the hhh.h number from the NMEA sentence and use it in your model.

1. How do I establish a serial connection between Simulink and an electronic compass?

To establish a serial connection between Simulink and an electronic compass, you will need to use a serial communication block in Simulink. This block allows you to specify the port and baud rate of the electronic compass, as well as the format of the data being transmitted.

2. Can I receive real-time data from the electronic compass?

Yes, you can receive real-time data from the electronic compass using Simulink's serial communication block. This allows you to continuously stream data from the compass into Simulink for analysis and processing.

3. How do I interpret the data received from the electronic compass?

The format of the data received from the electronic compass will depend on the specific model and brand of the compass. You will need to consult the manufacturer's documentation to understand the data format and how to interpret it in Simulink. Additionally, you can use Simulink's signal processing and visualization tools to analyze and interpret the data.

4. Can I control the electronic compass using Simulink?

Yes, you can control the electronic compass using Simulink by sending commands through the serial communication block. This allows you to adjust settings and parameters of the compass in real-time, making it a powerful tool for experimentation and testing.

5. Are there any additional tools or software required to receive data from the electronic compass in Simulink?

In most cases, you will only need Simulink and the appropriate serial communication block to receive data from an electronic compass. However, some compass models may require specific drivers or libraries to be installed on your computer before establishing the serial connection. It is important to check the manufacturer's documentation for any additional requirements.