Renormalised Mass and the Higgs Boson

In summary, the renormalised mass of the scalar particle is 125GeV, and the capital lambda is the 10^(19)GeV. The bare mass of the particle is negative, and this is due to the Higgs fine tuning problem.
Sekonda
Hey,

I have the following equation for the renormalised mass of some scalar particle (i.e. Higgs boson)

[tex]m_{r}^{2}=m_{0}^{2}+\frac{\lambda}{32\pi^{2}}( \Lambda ^{2}-m_{0}^{2}ln(1+\frac{\Lambda^{2}}{\mu^{2}}))[/tex]

Where I have the first order correction to the mass of the loop in a two point function as

[tex]\delta m^{2}=\frac{\lambda}{32\pi^{2}}(\Lambda^{2}-m^{2}ln(1+\frac{\Lambda^{2}}{m^{2}}))[/tex]

Now I'm a bit confused with all these different terms and wanted to know what μ means in the top equation as I'd of thought it was just our mass squared in the second equation?

I suppose, more importantly, what I want to ask is the 'Renormalised Mass' the mass we measure (so for the Higgs Boson 125GeV) and the capital Lambda is our UV-limit (on Planck scale 10^(19)GeV). If this is so then our bare mass is negative??

Also is it safe to assume the self-coupling constant of a Higgs boson is 1/8?

I'm sure we measure the mass to be about 125GeV however quantum corrections due to the 'divergences' (from virtual particles) want to push this mass up by about an order of 10^(17) which is not observed... so there 'must' be something else going on...

Is this correct?

Thanks,
SK

Physics news on Phys.org
Sekonda said:
I'm sure we measure the mass to be about 125GeV however quantum corrections due to the 'divergences' (from virtual particles) want to push this mass up by about an order of 10^(17) which is not observed... so there 'must' be something else going on...
This is known as Higgs fine tuning problem: The bare mass and the quantum corrections have to be huge, and cancel nearly exactly.
Supersymmetric models replace the linear term by a logarithm, which requires less fine-tuning.

Well I think I have understood this correctly to minute detail! I want to know how I show with my given equation the order of the 'quantum corrections'... I'll keep looking at it but I'm getting the m_0 as negative - which is wrong!

Thanks for getting back to me,
SK

Maybe a sign error for the quantum correction?
I think I saw a negative m_0^2 somewhere.

Would I be correct in saying that the renormalised mass m_(r) is the 125GeV and the capital λ is the 10^(19)GeV?

It seems to make sense that we say

[tex]m_r^{2}=m_{0}^{2}+\delta m^{2}[/tex]

Where I have

[tex]\delta m^{2}=\frac{\lambda}{32\pi^{2}}(\Lambda^{2}-m^{2}ln(1+\frac{\Lambda^{2}}{m^{2}}))[/tex]

I believe I use values for:

[tex]m_r=125GeV\: ,\: \Lambda=10^{19}GeV[/tex]

However I'm not sure how I can use these to show what value the bare mass is because I keep getting negative masses for m_0. Though saying this, I'm not sure what mass we use in the correction δm^2 ; I assumed it was just the bare mass - but I'm not sure.

bare mass can not be measured because for that you will have to take the self interaction away which is not the case.In some case an infinite negative bare mass is used to cancel other positive infinity to get sensible terms.This is how it works. the statement here is due to freeman Dyson.

1. What is renormalised mass in the context of the Higgs Boson?

Renormalised mass is a concept in quantum field theory that accounts for the effects of virtual particle interactions on the measured mass of a particle. In the context of the Higgs Boson, it refers to the fact that the observed mass of the Higgs Boson is not equal to its bare mass, but rather a renormalised mass that takes into account the interactions with other particles in the Higgs field.

2. How does the Higgs mechanism explain the origin of mass?

The Higgs mechanism proposes that particles acquire mass through their interactions with the Higgs field, which permeates all of space. The Higgs field gives particles their mass by slowing them down as they move through it, similar to how objects moving through water experience resistance and appear to have more mass.

3. What is the significance of the Higgs Boson in the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Higgs Boson is the final missing piece of the Standard Model, which is the most widely accepted theory of particle physics. Its discovery in 2012 confirmed the existence of the Higgs field and the mechanism by which particles acquire mass, providing a crucial piece of evidence for the Standard Model.

4. How was the Higgs Boson discovered?

The Higgs Boson was discovered at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN in 2012. Scientists observed the decay of the Higgs Boson into other particles, which left a distinct signature in the data collected by the LHC detectors. This signature was then compared to theoretical predictions, confirming the existence of the Higgs Boson.

5. Can the Higgs Boson decay into other particles besides the ones observed?

Yes, the Higgs Boson can theoretically decay into a variety of particles, including leptons, quarks, and even other Higgs Bosons. However, the probability of these decays is very small, making it difficult to observe them in experimental data. Scientists continue to study and search for these rare decays to further our understanding of the Higgs Boson and its role in particle physics.