Atom and its reaction while travelling in a magnetic field

In summary: This results in two possible trajectories for the atom, either traveling up or down in the magnetic field. This is due to the atom's magnetic moment interacting with the magnetic field, causing a deflection in its trajectory.
radioactive8
Hello
I was reading a book about quantum mechanics and in some point it used as an example the reaction of the atom while its traveling through a magnetic field . So the author described an atom as a magnetic arrow ( which isn't complety right but he did that so he can reveal the truth afterwards and so we readers end up in a mathetical dead end in an experiment using a stern-gerlach analyser .. so he said That if we have a dissimilar magnetic field for example which its trend going up he said that according to the trend of the atom's arrow it will even travel up by μβ or down by μβ . So hear is my question : how can it have the same declination ?

Physics news on Phys.org
radioactive8 said:
So hear is my question : how can it have the same declination ?

By declination I imagine you mean the angle of the trajectory after the magnetic field with respect to the original direction of propagation. In that case, it is set by the strength of the magnetic field and the magnetic moment of the atom, which I imagine is here a hyrogen atom, which can take only two discrete values which are exactly opposite. This is the "quantum" in quantum mechanics: the magnetic moment is quantized and can only take a discrete set of values.

Likes 1 person
More precisely, the magnitude of the magnetic moment is fixed, but its orientation can take on a discrete set of values (two in this case).

Likes 1 person

1. What is an atom?

An atom is the smallest unit of matter that retains the properties of an element. It consists of a nucleus containing positively charged protons and neutral neutrons, surrounded by negatively charged electrons.

2. How does an atom react while travelling in a magnetic field?

When an atom travels in a magnetic field, the negatively charged electrons will experience a force due to their motion and the magnetic field. This force causes them to move in a circular path around the nucleus, resulting in a change in the atom's direction.

3. Why does an atom react to a magnetic field?

An atom reacts to a magnetic field because of the presence of charged particles (electrons and protons) within the atom. These charged particles have an inherent magnetic moment, which causes them to interact with the external magnetic field.

4. How is an atom's reaction in a magnetic field related to its properties?

An atom's reaction in a magnetic field is related to its properties, such as its atomic number, electron configuration, and magnetic moment. These properties determine the strength and direction of the atom's reaction to the magnetic field.

5. Can the reaction of an atom in a magnetic field be controlled?

Yes, the reaction of an atom in a magnetic field can be controlled by adjusting the strength and direction of the magnetic field. This is the principle behind technologies such as MRI machines, which use magnetic fields to control the behavior of atoms in the body for imaging purposes.