Register to reply

Thermodynamics - evaporator condenser

by James MEng
Tags: condenser, evaporator, thermodynamics
Share this thread:
James MEng
Oct31-13, 04:05 PM
P: 6
Hello - fundamental thermo question which is puzzling me...

It concerns a multiple effect evaporator with condenser. Hot vapour is water, cooling medium is water.

My question stems from the following:
When the flow of cooling water to the condenser is increased, the pressure in the condenser (and thus the pressure profile of the entire evaporator) is reduced.

Here's how I understand it...
  • Heat transfer area of condenser remains constant
  • Overall heat transfer coefficient is increased slightly; given that the Reynolds number on cold side is increased
  • Cooling water temperature out is reduced (assuming heat load is constant and inlet temperature is the same)

How does this in turn lead to a reduction in evaporator pressure, please explain in basic terms (what's actually physically happening rather than just formulae! ).

Thanks in advance for any replies

Edit: Also the mass flow rate of condensate will be the same for a given flow "in" of water and steam. Some thermodynamic activity is occuring here I just cannot work out what!
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Student develops filter for clean water around the world
Developing the next evolution in underwater communication
Compact vibration harvester power supply with highest efficiency opens door to "fix-and-forget" sensor nodes

Register to reply