Online Materials Science Resources

In summary, for quality materials science resources on the web, one could check out MIT's Open CourseWare in Materials Science and Engineering, as well as websites such as Key to Metals and various scientific and technical societies like TMS, ASM International, and SAE. These resources can supplement learning in an intro to materials science and engineering class.
jstad
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some quality materials science resources on the web? I am currently in an intro to materials science and engineering class and have been fascinated by the subject this semester. I was just wondering if there are any "go to" resources on the internet to supplement what I'm learning?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
jstad said:
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some quality materials science resources on the web? I am currently in an intro to materials science and engineering class and have been fascinated by the subject this semester. I was just wondering if there are any "go to" resources on the internet to supplement what I'm learning?

Thank you!
There is MIT's Open CourseWare in Materials Science and Engineering -
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/materials-science-and-engineering/

A nice reference on metals is:
http://www.keytometals.com/page.aspx?ID=Articles&LN=EN
http://www.keytometals.com/page.aspx?ID=MaterialBasics&LN=EN

There are scientific and technical societies one can join:

www.tms.org
www.asminternational.org
www.sae.org

What are online materials science resources?

Online materials science resources are websites or databases that provide access to information, data, and tools related to materials science. These resources can include research articles, journals, databases, simulation tools, and more.

Why are online materials science resources important?

Online materials science resources are important for scientists as they provide easy access to a vast amount of information and data related to materials science. They also allow for collaboration and sharing of research, which can lead to advancements in the field.

What types of information can be found in online materials science resources?

Online materials science resources can contain a variety of information, including research articles, data sets, experimental techniques, simulation tools, and more. Some resources may also include educational materials, such as tutorials and videos.

Are online materials science resources reliable?

It is important to evaluate the reliability of online materials science resources, as with any source of information. Peer-reviewed journals and databases from reputable organizations are generally considered to be reliable sources. However, it is always recommended to cross-check information from multiple sources.

How can I access online materials science resources?

There are a variety of ways to access online materials science resources, including through academic institutions, libraries, and individual subscriptions. Some resources may also offer free access to certain materials or have open access options. Additionally, many resources can be accessed through search engines or online databases.