Questions on genetics: gene co-ordinate systems and gene interpretations

In summary, the cells in a developing organism know which direction to grow and how much tissue is required to do so. They also interpret genetic data to determine what to do.
Speed
I am curious to know how cells in developing organisms can know which direction to grow in, how much tissue is required and in what proportion, and how to differentiate to the right cells.

If we just take the first issue, which is directional growth, I remember from my O-level biology classes that plants grow towards stimuli. How can this be the case for say a fetus inside a womb? It is more likely that some kind of co-ordinate system is encoded into genes.

Also, how do cells interpret genetic data? It might sound like a weird question, but basically there must be some implicit assumptions which would determine that section X of the genes determine height, etc. Even if the gene has instructions within itself that section X determines height, some implicit assumption must still exist in that tells the reproducing cells that the instruction exists!

Without those implicit assumptions it would be like having a manual on how to build a car from iron ore, but not having any tools to do it with.

Biology news on Phys.org
Speed said:
I am curious to know how cells in developing organisms can know which direction to grow in, how much tissue is required and in what proportion, and how to differentiate to the right cells.
The answer is morphogen gradients. A cell expresses protein, the farther away another cell is, the less signal it will get.

Also, how do cells interpret genetic data?
Genetic data is expressed in proteins that do the function. There are feedback loops that tell the gene to either start expressing more of its protein, or less of its protein.

Interesting. Can you recommend any entry level books for someone who had my last biology lecture in Year 11? I am especially interested in the following fields:
1) Ontogeny;
2) Evolution;
3) Co-evolution of diseases, parasites and hosts;
4) Epidemiology;
5) Anything else involving genes...how they encode information, how the information is expressed, how organisms develop, how mutations arise, how genetic drift occurs, etc.

Something with the text pitched at about the level of your reply. It is ironic that I moved away from biological sciences in school, deeming them as "soft science", only to come full circle due to what is known as biomimetics in engineering.

Last edited:
A book that I really like is "Molecular Biology of the Cell" by Alberts et al. http://www.garlandscience.com/textbooks/0815332181.asp?type=preview The book is very complete and discusses things from genes to development. It's written in a very readable way.

I can tell you more about the specific mechanics of development, they are very interesting.. but I'm a bit drained for this evening :wink:

1. What is a gene co-ordinate system?

A gene co-ordinate system is a method of organizing and mapping genes on a chromosome. It uses numerical values to represent the location of a gene on a chromosome, with the first value indicating the chromosome number and the second value indicating the position of the gene on that chromosome. This system helps scientists to accurately locate and study specific genes.

2. How do scientists interpret genes?

Scientists interpret genes by studying their structure, function, and expression. This involves analyzing the DNA sequence of a gene, studying its role in biological processes, and observing how it is expressed in different cells and tissues. They also compare and contrast genes with similar functions in other organisms to gain a better understanding of their function and evolutionary history.

3. What is the relationship between genes and traits?

Genes are responsible for determining traits, such as physical characteristics and behaviors, in an organism. Each gene contains the instructions for making a specific protein, which ultimately affects the expression of a trait. However, many factors, including environmental influences, can also play a role in how traits are expressed.

4. How do gene co-ordinate systems assist in genetic research?

Gene co-ordinate systems are essential tools in genetic research as they help scientists to accurately locate and study specific genes. By using these systems, scientists can identify the location of a gene on a chromosome, which can provide clues about its function and potential role in diseases or other biological processes.

5. Can gene co-ordinate systems be used in humans?

Yes, gene co-ordinate systems can be used in humans. The human genome has been mapped, and scientists have identified the location of thousands of genes on each chromosome. This information is continuously being updated and used in various genetic studies to better understand human health and diseases.