Meter Bridge Experiment: Limitations for Measuring Small Resistance

In summary, the meter bridge experiment not useful for the measurement of small resistance because the resistor values are too small and the voltage ratio is difficult to find accurately.
Hardik Batra
why the meter bridge experiment not useful for the measurement of small resistance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hardik Batra said:
why the meter bridge experiment

I assume you mean what people (in the US at least) usually call a "Wheatstone bridge", rather than the kind of meter bridge that is used in an audio recording studio:

http://www.sweetwater.com/c434--Mixer_Meter_Bridges

Before reading your post, I had never seen a Wheatstone bridge referred to as a "meter bridge", but a Google search revealed that in some places it does indeed have that name. I've learned something new today! :biggrin:

not useful for the measurement of small resistance?

Small compared to what?

Hardik Batra said:
jtbell said:
I assume you mean what people (in the US at least) usually call a "Wheatstone bridge", rather than the kind of meter bridge that is used in an audio recording studio:

Before reading your post, I had never seen a Wheatstone bridge referred to as a "meter bridge", but a Google search revealed that in some places it does indeed have that name. I've learned something new today! :biggrin:
Ok. I mean wheat stone bridge.

I don't know the limit of small resistance.

jtbell said:

Small compared to what?

On the senior side of the pond, we spell it Metre when we mean the length and Meter when we mean the measuring instrument. There's no confusion that way.:wink:
Most Bridges don't use anything as crude as a length of resistance wire, these days, of course.
Btw, actually how long is the wire that you use in the bridge that consists of a wooden board, brass terminals and an old fashioned galvanometer?

The one that we use in our introductory lab apparatus is in fact one meter (metre) long, mounted on top of a meter stick! (which is in turn mounted along with electrical terminals on top of a board)

jtbell said:
The one that we use in our introductory lab apparatus is in fact one meter (metre) long, mounted on top of a meter stick! (which is in turn mounted along with electrical terminals on top of a board)

I was visualising a stick with 36 major (inch) divisions on it, with 16 small ones between each pair. :big grin: Good for training in Arithmetic!

In meter bridge experiment,
I have resistor values R1 = 0.5 ohm, R2 = unknown(that we want to find. consider R2 has also very small value.)
R3 and R4 decided by moving jokey key on meter wire.

Some one says me you can't use this method because the resistance value is too small.

So this is true or false.

True then which method is used?

Hardik Batra said:
In meter bridge experiment,
I have resistor values R1 = 0.5 ohm, R2 = unknown(that we want to find. consider R2 has also very small value.)
R3 and R4 decided by moving jokey key on meter wire.

Some one says me you can't use this method because the resistance value is too small.

So this is true or false.

True then which method is used?

IF you want 0.5Ω to drop a significant voltage across it (which is what a bridge needs, when you get down to it) then you need to pass significant current through it. Isquared R implies that the resistor will be dissipating significant power (more than it is designed for) and it could be roasted.

You can't use a high value of reference resistor or, again, the voltage ratio will be small and difficult to find accurately as the ratio of two lengths of wire. There is also the problem that contact resistance can add to the measured value. (More voltage drop to confuse things)

There has been a lot of work in the past on measuring low resistances - particularly in the context of Measuring Contact Resistance and there have been many improvements on the straight metre bride arrangement. The Kelvin Bridge was one.
Also, if you use AC for the test, you can use a transformer to 'step-up' the value of your test resistor - by a known ratio, and measure this transformed resistance with a straightforward bridge. AC is a good way of seeing (on a scope) any hints of non-linearity, which can occur with low value components - which may have contact resistance problems inside the box.

1. What is a meter bridge experiment?

A meter bridge experiment is a physics experiment that is used to measure the unknown resistance of a conductor by balancing the ratio of known resistances on a meter bridge. It is a simple and accurate method for finding the resistance of a conductor.

2. What materials are needed for a meter bridge experiment?

The materials needed for a meter bridge experiment include a meter bridge, a galvanometer, a battery, a rheostat, a jockey, and a set of known resistances. Other materials may be needed depending on the specific experiment being conducted.

3. How does a meter bridge work?

A meter bridge works by balancing the ratio of known resistances on one side of the bridge with the unknown resistance on the other side. This is done by adjusting the length of the known resistance wire and the position of the jockey on the unknown resistance wire until the galvanometer shows no deflection, indicating a balanced bridge.

4. What are the sources of error in a meter bridge experiment?

The sources of error in a meter bridge experiment can include inaccuracies in the measurement of the known resistances, variations in the temperature of the wires, and human error in reading the galvanometer. To minimize these errors, it is important to use high-quality materials and to take multiple measurements and average the results.

5. What are the advantages of using a meter bridge experiment?

The advantages of using a meter bridge experiment include its simplicity and accuracy in measuring resistance. It also allows for the measurement of very small resistances, making it useful for testing conductors with low resistance values. Additionally, the materials needed for a meter bridge experiment are relatively inexpensive and easily accessible.