Negotiating an unbanked turn.

• Thread starter gsr_4life
  • Start date
In summary, an unbanked turn is a flat turn on a road or track that requires the driver to use specific techniques to navigate successfully. The main challenges of negotiating an unbanked turn include maintaining control of the vehicle, avoiding oversteering or understeering, and managing speed. To prepare for an unbanked turn, it is important to familiarize yourself with the road or track, ensure your vehicle is in good condition, and use proper techniques such as maintaining a steady speed and using gradual steering movements. If you lose control while navigating an unbanked turn, it is important to stay calm and steer in the direction of the skid, avoiding sudden braking or acceleration.
gsr_4life
I need some help setting this up.

A car is safely negotiating an unbanked circular turn at a speed of 21m/s. The max static frictional force acts on the tires. Suddenly a wet patch in the road reduces the maximum static frictional force by a factor of three. If the car is to continue safely around the curve, to what speed must the driver slow the car?

Any hints as to setting it up would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
it involves centripetal acceleration. try drawing a free body diagram

http://laser.phys.uAlberta.ca/~freeman/enph131/fbdex3.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an unbanked turn?

An unbanked turn is a turn on a road or track that does not have a slope or angle to aid in the curve. This means that the road or track is flat and requires the driver to use other techniques to successfully navigate the turn.

2. What are the main challenges of negotiating an unbanked turn?

The main challenges of negotiating an unbanked turn include maintaining control of the vehicle, avoiding oversteering or understeering, and managing the speed of the vehicle.

3. How can I prepare for negotiating an unbanked turn?

To prepare for negotiating an unbanked turn, it is important to familiarize yourself with the road or track beforehand. This can include studying the layout and practicing the turn at slower speeds. Additionally, ensuring that your vehicle is in good condition and that your tires have good traction can also help with navigating the turn.

4. What techniques can I use to successfully navigate an unbanked turn?

Some techniques that can help with navigating an unbanked turn include maintaining a steady speed, using smooth and gradual steering movements, and keeping your eyes on the exit of the turn rather than the apex. It is also important to properly distribute the weight of the vehicle and to avoid sudden braking or acceleration.

5. What should I do if I lose control while negotiating an unbanked turn?

If you lose control while negotiating an unbanked turn, it is important to remain calm and avoid panicking. Do not abruptly release the accelerator or slam on the brakes, as this can cause the vehicle to skid. Instead, try to steer in the direction of the skid and gradually decrease your speed. If you are unable to regain control, steer the vehicle off the road or track in a safe manner.