Unsure About College? Learn About Majors Related to Sound & Brain Processes

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's interests in sound, sound waves and EM waves, creating and designing things, and how the brain processes sound. They are unsure about what to study in college to pursue these interests and are seeking advice and suggestions. The conversation also mentions the possibility of learning about these topics through a neurology major or through the Mind and Brain Sciences section on a forum.
KingNothing
Hi. There are a few things that really intrigue me in life, that just capture my mind. One is how sound works, and how sound waves and EM waves act. Also, creating and designing things. Another one that is a litle bit harder to put a finger on, is how the brain processes sound. This fascinates me

What exactly do I say that I want to study? I mean, what sort of majors and study programs do these things fit into? Unsure about college. Thanks for replies!

Physics news on Phys.org
KingNothing said:
Hi. There are a few things that really intrigue me in life, that just capture my mind. One is how sound works, and how sound waves and EM waves act. Also, creating and designing things. Another one that is a litle bit harder to put a finger on, is how the brain processes sound. This fascinates me

What exactly do I say that I want to study? I mean, what sort of majors and study programs do these things fit into? Unsure about college. Thanks for replies!
How the brain processes sound comes under the heading of neurology. You could probably pick up quite a bit about this by just googling. Your specific questions might not be answered, but you can find out a lot of what is known about this.

Also, PF has a Mind and Brain Sciences section:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149

Last edited by a moderator:

I can understand your fascination with sound and brain processes. These are complex and fascinating topics that require a deep understanding of physics, biology, and psychology. In terms of majors, you may want to consider programs in acoustics, neuroscience, or cognitive psychology. These fields will allow you to explore the physics of sound, the biology of the brain, and how the brain processes sound. Additionally, you may want to look into programs in engineering or design, as they will allow you to apply your interest in creating and designing things. It's important to research different majors and their course requirements to see which one aligns with your interests and goals. I would also recommend speaking with academic advisors or professors in these fields to gain more insight and guidance. Remember, it's never too late to explore and discover your passions and find the right academic path for you. Best of luck in your academic journey!

1. What are some majors related to sound and brain processes?

Some majors that are related to sound and brain processes include cognitive neuroscience, audiology, speech-language pathology, cognitive science, and music therapy.

2. How do I know if a major in sound and brain processes is right for me?

If you have a strong interest in both the science of the brain and the study of sound and how it affects us, then a major in this field may be a good fit for you. You can also talk to academic advisors and current students in these majors to gain more insight.

3. What career options are available with a degree in sound and brain processes?

Some career options include working as a cognitive neuroscientist, audiologist, speech-language pathologist, music therapist, or researcher in the field of auditory neuroscience.

4. Are there any specific skills or courses I should focus on to prepare for this major?

Some helpful skills to have for this major may include strong critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, as well as a background in biology, psychology, and physics. Courses in these subjects, as well as music theory and sound technology, can also be beneficial.

5. Are there any internships or research opportunities available in this field?

Yes, there are often opportunities for internships and research experiences in this field. You can inquire with your academic advisor or search for opportunities through your university's career center or department websites. You can also reach out to professionals in the field for potential internship or research opportunities.