Where Can I Purchase the Particle Data Book in Print Format?

In summary: Noting that they also send these to students and "Science Fans", I think I'll get myself one. Thanks for the...um...info?
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Can any of you pros tell me how to obtain the shirt-pocket, dead-tree version of the Particle Data Book? All my searches result in a wealth of references to the PDG site, where I find things "I can download". I don't want to download; I want to buy the handy book!

Physics news on Phys.org
selfAdjoint said:
I want to buy the handy book!

Why, selfAdjoint?

:smile:

Kea said:
Why, selfAdjoint?

:smile:

What, do I have to give a reason before you'll tell me how to buy it? : It's a govenment publication isn't it? Is this the Bush adminitration in action?:devil:

Actually I want to keep it by me and when I have a thought or a question occurs to me I want to be able to look it up without the extra business of going on line. If I am sitting somewhere boring waiting for someone no need to yawn, just whip out my PDB and learn something I didn't know.

And no, I have no desire to paricipate in the "Where has your PDB been" video game, although that is how I came to learn of it. I don't even have equipment to make videos.

From the website
http://pdg.lbl.gov/2005/html/receive_our_products.html"
North or South America, Australia, and the Far East

For copies of:
• Not available: Particle Physics Booklet
• Not available: Review of Particle Physics (1100 pages; if you need more detailed information).
• Pocket Diary for Physicists
Via the web page: http://pdg.lbl.gov/pdgmail
Or via E-mail: pdgrequest@lbl.gov
Or via postal mail:
Particle Data Group, MS 50R6008
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab
One Cyclotron Road
Berkeley, CA 94720-8166 USA

So, it looks like the booklet is not available currently. But previously, you could order and they would send it when it became available. Good luck.
Cheers,
Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:
Norman said:
From the website
http://pdg.lbl.gov/2005/html/receive_our_products.html"

So, it looks like the booklet is not available currently. But previously, you could order and they would send it when it became available. Good luck.
Cheers,
Ryan

Thanks for the link. I'll keep monitoring it; I've heard they're bringing out a new edition.

Added in edit:
Actually I went to the site and was able to sign up to their mailing list and select the product I wanted (the "Particle data booklet/2006") which just as you said they will send me when it becomes availlable. So thanks again, you have solved my problem!

selfAdjoint said:
Thanks for the link. I'll keep monitoring it; I've heard they're bringing out a new edition.

Added in edit:
Actually I went to the site and was able to sign up to their mailing list and select the product I wanted (the "Particle data booklet/2006") which just as you said they will send me when it becomes availlable. So thanks again, you have solved my problem!

Hey, no problem. Us wisconsin folks got to take care of each other! :tongue2:

Once you sign up for the things you want, they will keep you on their list and you will get updates each year when they update their publications. Which is always a very pleasant surprise in the mail :biggrin: .

Cheers,
Ryan

Norman said:
Us wisconsin folks got to take care of each other

So "East Coast" means east coast of Badgerland? Like Sheboygan and Racine, and oh, what's that town that starts with an M?

Nope, my advisor took a job in Massachusetts and I followed him last year. But I was born and raised just outside of Green Bay and did my undergrad and first part of grad school in Wisconsin. So I am an ex-pat cheesehead. ;)

Norman said:
just outside of Green Bay

I live just down the road, in Greenville.

Does anybode know about a mailing list for Europeans (Austria)?
When looking for ordering the book, I get redirected to CERN publication request, but there it says it's out of print and there is no further indication of when the new edition is released

beta3 said:
Does anybode know about a mailing list for Europeans (Austria)?
When looking for ordering the book, I get redirected to CERN publication request, but there it says it's out of print and there is no further indication of when the new edition is released

That's what the North America page said too, but when I clicked on the link to be on their mailing list it turned out they would send me the new edition when it's ready. Does that link exist on the European page?

The form for requesting publications:
http://weblib.cern.ch/publreq.php

But I can't find anything about a mailing list

It appears that you can put your name on their mailing list whatever may be your country via this form (I found it via the US link)...

http://pdg.lbl.gov/cgi-bin/pdgmail/edit.pl

Noting that they also send these to students and "Science Fans", I think I'll get myself one. Thanks for the link.

I got hold of a copy of the Particle Properties Data Booklet ( it's a little ciggarette packet sized booklet...very small print ) simply by writing to Rutherford/Appleton laboratories in England and asking for a copy...which they sent for free. Mind you, that was 1981, so I wouldn't count on it still being free.

I signed up for all three in September of 2005. I received a pocket size calendar/phone number book in the mail early in 2006 but have not yet received either of the other two. I believe they are published every two years so the next batch should be up as I am under the impression the previous printing was in 2004.

1. What is the Particle Data Book?

The Particle Data Book is a comprehensive reference book containing information on the fundamental particles and their properties, as well as the latest experimental results and theoretical predictions in particle physics.

2. Who publishes the Particle Data Book?

The Particle Data Book is published by the Particle Data Group, an international collaboration of physicists from various institutions around the world.

3. What information is included in the Particle Data Book?

The Particle Data Book includes data on the masses, spin, charge, and other properties of particles, as well as their decay modes, production methods, and other relevant information for particle physics research.

4. How often is the Particle Data Book updated?

The Particle Data Book is updated every two years, with the latest edition being the 2020 edition.

5. Is the Particle Data Book available online?

Yes, the Particle Data Book is available online as a free resource on the Particle Data Group's website. It can also be purchased in print form from various online retailers.