Geometry and Discrete Mathematics notes? Resources?

In summary, the conversation is about finding resources to prepare for Geometry and Discrete Mathematics in high school. The suggestion is to study logic concurrently with discrete math, and resources are provided such as a website for introductory logic, a website with logic problems, and a book recommendation. The conversation also mentions difficulty with proofs and thanks for the tips and resources.
Tensaiga
Geometry and Discrete Mathematics notes?? Resources?

Hello everyone, I'm going to take Geometry and Discrete Mathematics, next year in high school (grade 12). So this summer I'm planning to read some books that would help me out next year, to bulit up my basic skills. So anyone know any sites or books that would help me out somehow?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I took logic concurrently with discrete math and that worked really well. The proofs in symbolic logic help you get used to the discrete math proofs. They help give you a feeling that you really do know what's going on. Depending on your course, you'll probably do some logic actually in the discrete math course too.

http://people.hofstra.edu/faculty/Stefan_Waner/RealWorld/logic/logicintro.html looks like a pretty good resource for introductory logic.

http://home.earthlink.net/~lfdean/carroll/puzzles/logic.html has a lot of problems that can be solved by thinking them through, but using symbolic logic makes them easier.

http://www.public.coe.edu/~pmccormi/phl115/s02/exercises.html
has a bunch of problems. For symbolic logic (you may want to skip the aristotelian stuff) you should scroll down to the links labeled Natural Deduction Exercises and the exercises below them.

The book I used for my logic course was "The Power of Logic."

Last edited by a moderator:
yea there were a lot of proofing involed and i don't know how to start when i see questions like those, thanks for your tip~ & resources~

1. What is the difference between geometry and discrete mathematics?

Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of shapes, sizes, and properties of objects in space. It is a continuous form of mathematics that primarily uses concepts such as points, lines, and planes. On the other hand, discrete mathematics deals with countable or finite sets and focuses on the study of mathematical structures that are discrete in nature, such as graphs, trees, and networks.

2. How can I improve my understanding of geometry and discrete mathematics?

To improve your understanding of geometry and discrete mathematics, it is important to practice solving problems and exercises regularly. You can also attend lectures or join study groups to learn from others and discuss difficult concepts. Additionally, there are many online resources, such as textbooks, videos, and interactive tutorials, that can help you deepen your understanding of these subjects.

3. What are some real-world applications of geometry and discrete mathematics?

Geometry and discrete mathematics have numerous real-world applications. Geometry is used in fields such as architecture, engineering, and cartography to design and construct buildings, bridges, and maps. Discrete mathematics, on the other hand, is used in computer science, cryptography, and information theory to solve problems related to data encryption, coding, and network optimization.

4. Are there any specific formulas or theorems I should memorize for geometry and discrete mathematics?

While there are many formulas and theorems in geometry and discrete mathematics, it is more important to understand the underlying concepts and principles. However, some commonly used formulas and theorems include Pythagorean theorem, Euclidean algorithm, and Euler's formula. It is also helpful to memorize basic definitions, identities, and properties.

5. What resources can I use to study geometry and discrete mathematics?

There are many resources available for studying geometry and discrete mathematics, both online and offline. Some popular textbooks include "Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications" by Kenneth Rosen and "Introduction to Geometry" by Richard Rusczyk. Online resources such as Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare offer free courses and materials on these subjects. Additionally, many universities have open access to lecture notes, assignments, and exams for their geometry and discrete mathematics courses.