How pH Affects SO2 Absorption in NaOH Scrubbers

• Thread starter katchum
  • Start date
I think it will be more efficient at pH 12.In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a scrubber for SO2 and the need for help. Two reactions are involved, one being a trimolecular reaction and the other being a bimolecular reaction. The distribution between the two reactions depends on pH, with two buffer pH values. It is not possible for one reaction to irreversibly occur while the other does not. The pH values at which all gas has reacted into NaOH can be calculated using equilibrium constants. The pH needed for 100% absorption of a certain amount of SO2 is higher than initially expected. The pH calculator provided by Borek may be used to determine the pH in a solution with two components
katchum
Hi

I'm designing a scrubber and need some help.

I know there are two reactions involved:

SO2 + 2 NaOH => Na2SO3 + H2O

SO2 + NaOH => NaHSO3

There is a distribution between the two reactions depending on pH.

How can I be absolutely sure that one reaction will irreversibly occur and the other one doesn't? At which pH should I look to find that all gas has reacted into NaOH?

The problem is: the first reaction makes the pH descend very quick and the second reaction less quick. So I can't calculate the pH after 100 % absorption of a certain amount of SO2.

Basically I just want to know how the pH changes after absorbing all the SO2.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
pH will relate to the concentration of H+ ions in solution... you'll have to then probably use things like the concentration of the reactants, solubility constants of the reactants and products, etc. Can you find the pH for just the first step?

katchum said:
Hi

SO2 + NaOH => NaHSO3
I wouldn't write my fundamental reactions that way. Your first reaction is a trimolecular reaction, and as a result, has a very low probability of occurance. The more likely reaction, is bisulfite reaction with sodium hydroxide, making sodium sulfite (bimolecular kinetics).

So then...

SO2 + NaOH <=> NaHSO3 --(1)
NaHSO3 + NaOH <=> Na2SO3 + H2O --(2)

By inspection, you notice that you are going to have a buffer at each of two pH values (one where [NaHSO3] = [SO2](aq) and the second where [Na2SO3] = [NaHSO3])

Not sure what exactly that means. But yes, the two reactions have different rate constants and equilibrium constants.

How can I be absolutely sure that one reaction will irreversibly occur and the other one doesn't?
You can't, because they won't. Both reactions will reach someequilibrium state.

At which pH should I look to find that all gas has reacted into NaOH?
Again, there's no such thing as "all" the gas. If you specify a certain percentage of the gas, you can find what it takes based on equilibrium constants.

More later...

Hmm, so this means one molecule of SO2 willl react with 3 molecules of NaOH if the pH is high enough?

So: if I want to absorb 0,2 mol/s SO2 from the gas (we have a 47 kg/h gas stream at our plant), I need 3 times as much OH- = 0,6 mol/s OH- ions. With an inlet NaOH-liquid pH of 10 = 0,0001 mol/liter OH- ions.

Then we need to have at least:

0,6 / 0,0001 = 6000 liter/s of liquid.

This is 6 m^3/s liquid. When I think about that amount of liquid, it's impossible, so there is something wrong with my calculation.

Otherwise when you have a pH of 11 you only need 0,6 m^3/s of liquid. This is more acceptable.

So let's see what a 20 % NaOH has as pH. That is 20 g in 100 g of water.
Or 0,5 mol NaOH in 0,1 liter. 5 mol/liter OH- ions!

This means a pH of 14,6? I didn't know that it would be that concentrated?

So technically I could maintain a pH of 11 by recycling the bottom liquid stream to the feed of pH 14,6.

What do you think, is this method right?

PS: there is also a HCl stream in our plant that is mixed into the SO2 stream:

54 kg/h HCl or 0,4 mol/s HCl (and 47 kg/h SO2).
To remove all the HCl I need 0,4 mol/s OH- ions. At pH 11 this means an additional 400 l/s liquid which is acceptable. Maybe we can operate at pH 12 with less liquid flow.

Last edited:
katchum said:
Hmm, so this means one molecule of SO2 willl react with 3 molecules of NaOH if the pH is high enough?

No. Your overall reaction equation (SO2 + 2NaOH -> Na2SO3 + H2O) was stoichiometrically correct, it was just wrong in terms of mechanism involved. Whole process is probably much better approximated with two stepwise reactions, as Gokul wrote.

Borek

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes HP Raj
Oh yeah, I read his post wrong... but the calculation method is acceptable right?

Does anyone know the pH after which the reaction of SO2 in NaOH is almost 100%.

pH of Na2SO3 is that of a weak base conjugated with HSO3-

pKa2 = 6.91

Thanks.

What is pKa1? I want to see if the first reaction occurs.

Last edited:

Check my pH calculator. Sulfurous acid is present only in the registered version - but in the free trial you may enter both pKa values to check pH of solutions in question.

Borek

How do I use that program when I react gas with a liquid solution?

Like 50-50 HCl/SO2 and NaOH-solution?

Do I just use the mol/l of gas and the mol/l of NaOH-solution?

Does this program work when there are multiple components?

mol/L of gas is in this case the same as mol/L of acid. One acid & one base only in the mixture.

Borek

=> So I can't use the pH calculator for a HCl, SO2, NaOH scrubber! So the only way to make a good calculation of pH is to make sure the reactions are irreversibel, like at high pH. That way I can "count" the molecules of OH- without using Ka values.

Another important question:

At pH 12, from the graph you can see everything is SO3--. Does this mean that the reaction:

NaOH + SO2 = NaHSO3 occurs

AND

NaHSO3 + NaOH = H2O + Na2SO3 occurs?

Because there isn't any of HSO3- left...

So if I design my NaOH-scrubber to work above pH 12 I can simplify that 2 OH- molecules react with 1 SO2 molecule.

Attachments

• so2.pdf
    61.1 KB · Views: 911
Last edited:
You have not mentioned HCl earlier.

pKa2 for H2SO3 is close to 7 - at pH 7 ratio SO3-2/HSO3- is about 1:1, at pH 8 it is about 10:1, at pH 9 it is about 100:1 (check Henderson-Hasselbalch equation) - so you may assume that at pH 9 there is almost no HSO3-.

Borek

Okay, so would you think making a scrubber at pH 10 would be equivalent in efficiency as pH 12? For HCl and SO2?

I mean, reactions will be faster at pH 12 but maybe at pH 10 they are equally fast. How can I estimate that?

Do you know if there exist equilibrium curves for different pH for a system of SO2-NaOH?

Last edited:
No idea about speed. Note that starting pH defines scrubber capacity - the higher the pH, the more gases it will be able to absorb.

Borek

katchum said:
Hi

SO2 + NaOH => NaHSO3

How can I be absolutely sure that one reaction will irreversibly occur and the other one doesn't? At which pH should I look to find that all gas has reacted into NaOH?

The problem is: the first reaction makes the pH descend very quick and the second reaction less quick. So I can't calculate the pH after 100 % absorption of a certain amount of SO2.

Basically I just want to know how the pH changes after absorbing all the SO2.

Thanks

http://www.s-a-s.org/journal/96/asv50n1/ASv50n1_sp10.html [Broken]

"These results indicate that the reversibility of the key reactions become important when the SO2 concentration is low."

Well, that abstract doesn't say at which pH they work so... everything is possible. Of course, low SO2 will give only the first reaction, but when you add more and more OH, le Chatelier says it will make the Na2SO3 reaction more attractive.

1. How does pH affect the absorption of SO2 in NaOH scrubbers?

The pH level in a NaOH scrubber plays a crucial role in the absorption of SO2. When the pH is too low, the absorption of SO2 decreases, resulting in higher emissions. On the other hand, when the pH is too high, the absorption of SO2 is also reduced, but it can also lead to the formation of harmful byproducts. Therefore, maintaining an optimal pH level is crucial for efficient SO2 absorption.

2. What is the ideal pH range for SO2 absorption in NaOH scrubbers?

The ideal pH range for SO2 absorption in NaOH scrubbers is between 6.5-8.5. This range allows for efficient absorption of SO2 while preventing the formation of harmful byproducts. It is important to regularly monitor and adjust the pH level to ensure it stays within this range.

3. How does the concentration of NaOH affect the pH level in NaOH scrubbers?

The concentration of NaOH directly affects the pH level in NaOH scrubbers. NaOH is a strong base, and when added to water, it dissociates into OH- ions, increasing the pH level. Therefore, a higher concentration of NaOH will result in a higher pH level, while a lower concentration will result in a lower pH level.

4. What happens if the pH level is too low in a NaOH scrubber?

If the pH level is too low in a NaOH scrubber, the absorption of SO2 will decrease, resulting in higher emissions. This can also lead to the formation of harmful byproducts, such as sulfuric acid, which can corrode the equipment and cause environmental damage. Therefore, it is important to maintain an optimal pH level to ensure efficient SO2 absorption and prevent potential hazards.

5. How can the pH level be controlled in a NaOH scrubber?

The pH level in a NaOH scrubber can be controlled by either adding more NaOH to increase the pH or adding an acid, such as sulfuric acid, to decrease the pH. It is important to carefully monitor the pH level and make adjustments as needed to maintain an optimal range for efficient SO2 absorption.