Real Analysis -Open/Closed sets of Metric Spaces

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of open and closed sets in a metric space, specifically with the use of the discrete metric. The discrete metric induces the discrete topology, in which every subset is open and closed. This means that for any topology on a space X, X is, by definition, open and closed. The discrete metric may seem unusual, but it simply means that every point has a ball containing it and no other points, making all points open sets.
rad0786
So I have an exam in Real Analysis I coming up next week and I was hoping if someone can help me out.

I hope my question makes sense because I think I might be confused with defining the metric space or so...

Homework Statement

a)Suppose that we have a metric space M with the discrete metric

d(x,y) = 1 if x = y
d(x,y) = 0 if x =/= y

Is this open or closed?

b)Suppose that we are in R (the real line) and the metric is define as

d(x,y) = 1 if x = y
d(x,y) = 0 if x =/= y

Is this open or closed?

Homework Equations

Definition:

A set is Y open if every point in Y is an interior point
A set is Y closed if every point in Y is an limit point

The Attempt at a Solution

a)Im not even sure if question a makes sense because I didn't define the metric.

b) I'm pretty sure it is open and closed because both the definitions work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is what open/closed? You haven't identified a set, only the metric. Also I think you have the definiton of the discrete metric backwards.

oh darn...

Can we focus on part b) only.

What if the set was just R (the entire real line)

Then it is open and closed?

Remember, a set is only open or closed relative to a given topology. For a metric space, there is a natural induced topology from the metric. But for your last question the topology doesn't matter: for any topology on a space X, X is, by definition, open (and closed) in the topology.

In fact, the discrete metric induces the discrete topology, in which every subset is open (and closed).

Oh okay...

I find the discrete metric very unusual

It's not that complicated. Every point has a ball containing it and no other points (eg, of radius 1/2), which just means points are open sets. Since unions of open sets are open, this means all sets are open.

The picture I get is sort of a lattice of isolated points. Also, don't get too hung up on the distances actually all being 1. This may be hard to visualize (if there are more than 4 points it's impossible to embed them in 3D space so they're all a distance 1 from every other point). But all that matters for most purposes is that it induces the discrete topology.

1. What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects and a distance function, or metric, that defines the distance between any two points in the set. This distance function must satisfy certain properties, such as non-negativity, symmetry, and the triangle inequality.

2. What is the difference between open and closed sets in a metric space?

An open set in a metric space is a set that does not contain its boundary points, meaning that every point in the set has a neighborhood that is also contained in the set. A closed set, on the other hand, contains all of its boundary points. In other words, a closed set includes its limit points.

3. How are open and closed sets related in a metric space?

In a metric space, every open set has a corresponding closed set, and vice versa. This means that for every open set, there exists a closed set that contains it, and for every closed set, there exists an open set contained within it.

4. What is the definition of a limit point in a metric space?

A limit point of a set in a metric space is a point where every neighborhood of that point contains at least one other point from the set. In other words, a limit point is a point that is "approached" by points in the set.

5. How are open and closed sets used in real analysis?

Open and closed sets are important concepts in real analysis because they allow us to define continuity and convergence of sequences and functions. In particular, open sets are used to define open neighborhoods, which are essential for proving continuity. Closed sets are used to define closed neighborhoods, which are important for proving convergence of sequences and continuity of functions.