Carbon Dioxide Extraction Inquiry

In summary, the conversation is about finding information on how carbon dioxide is purified and turned into liquid form from waste gas. The focus is on the materials and energy involved in the process. The person also mentions their interest in the dry cleaning industry and how one of the links provided is from a supplier of CO2 to this industry.
makethings
Hi. I am trying to find information with no luck on google. I am hoping someone here can help point me to any articles or books that talk about how carbon dioxide is taken as a waste residue from an industrial process and purified, and turned into liquid carbon dioxide. But the focus is on how it goes from bad waste gas to clean liquid form. I am particularly interested in the materials and energy that are associated with doing this.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Liquid? Or solid?

This is fantastic thanks. this is part of some research I'm doing on the dry cleaning industry and since one of those links is from linde gas which is a supplier of CO2 to the dry cleaning industry it makes it all the more perfect.

1. What is carbon dioxide extraction?

Carbon dioxide extraction is a method of extracting compounds from a substance using pressurized carbon dioxide (CO2) as a solvent. This technique is commonly used in the food, pharmaceutical, and essential oil industries.

2. How does carbon dioxide extraction work?

In this process, CO2 is pressurized and heated until it reaches a supercritical state, where it has properties of both a liquid and a gas. This supercritical CO2 is then used to extract the desired compounds from the substance. The CO2 is then depressurized, allowing the extracted compounds to be collected.

3. What are the advantages of carbon dioxide extraction?

Carbon dioxide extraction is a safe and efficient method of extraction, as CO2 is non-toxic and non-flammable. It also allows for selective extraction of specific compounds and can be easily adjusted for different substances. Additionally, the extracted compounds are generally of high purity and do not contain residual solvents.

4. What substances can be extracted using carbon dioxide extraction?

Carbon dioxide extraction can be used to extract a wide range of substances, including essential oils, flavors, fragrances, and pharmaceutical compounds. It is also commonly used for decaffeination of coffee and tea.

5. Are there any limitations to carbon dioxide extraction?

While carbon dioxide extraction has many advantages, there are some limitations to this method. It can be a costly process due to the equipment and energy required, and it may not be suitable for extracting certain heat-sensitive compounds. Additionally, the high pressure and temperature used in this process may alter the chemical composition and properties of the extracted compounds.