Are There Any Pairs (P,Q) With All Composite Integers Modulo Q?

In summary, Dirichlet's Theorem states that for two relatively prime integers, there is an infinite number of primes in the arithmetic series of those integers. Therefore, there are an infinite number of pairs (P,Q) where all positive integers that are P modulo Q are composite. This contradicts the idea of rare enough primes to make this impossible.
ACG
Hi! I was thinking about primes and have a bit of a question. I apologize if this is too easy or obvious -- I haven't thought much about it.

Take two relatively prime numbers, P and Q. P < Q, and P is not prime.

How many pairs (P,Q) are there so that ALL positive integers which are P modulo Q are composite? I couldn't think of any. For instance,

(6,11)

won't work because 17 is prime.

(8, 11) will choke on 19, and (8, 13) will choke on 47.

I know primes become much rarer when you get further up the number line. But do they get rare enough at some point for this to happen? I would suspect not, but I'm curious if there's a proof.

Thanks in advance,

ACG

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ACG:I know primes become much rarer when you get further up the number line. But do they get rare enough at some point for this to happen? I would suspect not, but I'm curious if there's a proof.

No, it does not happen. There is something called Dirichlet's Theorem. Given an two relatively prime integers, (a,b)=1, the arithmetical series a+b, a+2b, a+3b...contains an infinite number of primes.

robert Ihnot said:
ACG:I know primes become much rarer when you get further up the number line. But do they get rare enough at some point for this to happen? I would suspect not, but I'm curious if there's a proof.

No, it does not happen. There is something called Dirichlet's Theorem. Given an two relatively prime integers, (a,b)=1, the arithmetical series a+b, a+2b, a+3b...contains an infinite number of primes.

That series may contain an infinite number of primes, but that does not say that each term in that series is a prime. Consider a=4 and b=9, a+4b has a factor of 4 and hence is not prime.

To the original poster what do you mean by rare enough? For every natural number n you can find a sequence of n consecutive compositie numbers.

d_leet said:
That series may contain an infinite number of primes, but that does not say that each term in that series is a prime. Consider a=4 and b=9, a+4b has a factor of 4 and hence is not prime.

But ACG wasn't looking for each term being prime. He was looking for each term being composite, so one prime is enough to shatter that idea. Since every such series contains at least one prime (an infinite amount), that answers his question thoroughly.

1. What does "mod" mean in this context?

"Mod" is short for "modulo" and refers to the remainder after dividing two numbers. In this context, it means the remainder when dividing an integer by another integer.

2. Can you provide an example of a pair of integers (P,Q) that satisfy the given condition?

Yes, the pair (2,6) satisfies the condition. When taking the remainder of any integer divided by 6, the result will always be a composite number. For example, 11 mod 6 = 5, which is a composite number.

3. What is a composite number?

A composite number is an integer that can be divided evenly by at least one number other than 1 and itself. In other words, it has more than two factors.

4. Are there any pairs (P,Q) where both P and Q are prime numbers?

No, there are no such pairs because for any prime number P, the remainder when dividing by P will always be either 0 or a prime number. Therefore, it is not possible for all remainders to be composite numbers.

5. Why is this concept important in mathematics?

This concept of all remainders being composite numbers modulo Q is important in number theory and has applications in cryptography. It also helps in understanding the properties of prime numbers and composite numbers.