Generation of polarization entangled photons

In summary, BBO (beta-BaB2O4) crystals are needed to generate polarization entangled photons using a laser diode and second harmonic generation. Cleveland Crystals is a good company to purchase these crystals from.
AlexHT
Hi,

What crystal do I need to generate polarization entangled photons? I read BBO (beta-BaB2O4) crystal are needed but when I call the engineers at commercial companies and mention the term "entangled photons" it goes way over their heads and they just say they don't make this crystal.

I am trying to use a laser diode at 856nm (give or take) and send it trough a second harmonic generator (now at 428nm) to hit the BBO crystal with. Much like it is described in the paper : http://xqp.physik.uni-muenchen.de/publ/apl_79_869_2001.pdf

Anyone has any suggestions - for a good company or share their experience with this field?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try this:

Downconversion Crystal: Cleveland Crystals, http://www.clevelandcrystals.com. Beta-barium borate ~BBO!
crystal, 3 mm long, for converting a cw 405-nm input to an
810-nm output, 3° cone angle on signal and idler, XH0503
housing with a 5-mm aperture, Humidity-barrier antireflective
coatings on the crystal faces, nitrogen purge connections,
and no windows; $2,160.

Last edited:

I have experience with generating polarization entangled photons and can provide some guidance on your question. BBO (beta-BaB2O4) crystals are indeed commonly used for this purpose, as they have a high nonlinear coefficient and can efficiently convert the wavelength of a laser beam to its second harmonic. However, it is important to note that not all BBO crystals are suitable for generating polarization entangled photons. The crystal must have a high optical quality and be cut at the correct angle to ensure the desired entanglement.

In terms of finding a reliable source for these crystals, I recommend reaching out to academic research groups or specialized companies that focus on photonics or quantum optics. They may be able to provide you with the specific type of BBO crystal you need for your experiment. It is also important to clearly communicate your requirements and goals when contacting these companies, as not all of them may have experience with entangled photons.

Additionally, you may want to consider alternative methods for generating polarization entangled photons, such as using spontaneous parametric down-conversion (SPDC) in a nonlinear crystal. This method has been widely used in research labs and may be a more accessible option for your experiment.

I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck in your research.

1. What is polarization entanglement?

Polarization entanglement is a quantum phenomenon where the polarization states of two or more particles are correlated, such that measuring the polarization of one particle instantly determines the polarization state of the other particle, regardless of the distance between them.

2. How are polarization entangled photons generated?

Polarization entangled photons can be generated through a process called spontaneous parametric down-conversion, where a laser beam is passed through a nonlinear crystal, resulting in the creation of two entangled photons with opposite polarizations.

3. What are the applications of polarization entanglement?

Polarization entanglement has many potential applications in quantum communication, cryptography, and computing. It can also be used in quantum sensing and metrology, as well as for testing the foundations of quantum mechanics.

4. How is the degree of entanglement measured in polarization entangled photons?

The degree of entanglement in polarization entangled photons can be measured using various techniques, such as quantum state tomography, which reconstructs the full quantum state of the entangled photons, or Bell's inequality tests, which demonstrate the violation of classical correlations in entangled systems.

5. Can polarization entangled photons be used for long-distance communication?

Yes, polarization entangled photons are being studied as a potential solution for secure long-distance communication, as they are immune to eavesdropping and can be transmitted over long distances without losing their entanglement. However, significant challenges, such as photon loss and noise, need to be overcome before this technology can be implemented on a large scale.