Given total time of given acceleration to get final velocity?

In summary, to calculate final velocity, you can multiply acceleration by time, as long as acceleration is constant. To find distance, you can multiply average velocity by time. If acceleration is not constant, you would need to integrate acceleration with respect to time. Refer to the given links or review the kinematic equations for more information.
pebbles
can i just multiply the acceleration by time to get the final velocity? and then, if i wanted to get distance with the same three variables-time, acceleration, and velocity, would i just multiply velocity by total time i am given?

thanks in advance. I'm trying to clear some things up before my exam on thursday.

Physics news on Phys.org
pebbles said:
can i just multiply the acceleration by time to get the final velocity?
If the acceleration is constant:
[tex]v = v_0 + a t[/tex]

and then, if i wanted to get distance with the same three variables-time, acceleration, and velocity, would i just multiply velocity by total time i am given?
The change in displacement will equal average velocity times the time.

Review the kinematic equations here: Basic Equations of 1-D Kinematics

Or here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mot.html#mot1

what if acceleration isn't constant?

You would need to integrate acceleration with respect to time.

v = integrate[a dt]

1. What is the formula for calculating final velocity given acceleration and time?

The formula for calculating final velocity (Vf) with a given acceleration (a) and time (t) is Vf = a * t.

2. How do I know which units to use for acceleration and time?

Acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) and time is measured in seconds (s). It is important to use the same unit for both variables in the formula.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of motion?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of motion where there is a constant acceleration. This includes both linear and circular motion.

4. What if I don't know the acceleration or time?

If you do not know the acceleration or time, you will not be able to use this formula to calculate the final velocity. You may need to use other equations or gather more information to determine these values.

5. What does the final velocity represent?

The final velocity represents the speed and direction of an object at a specific point in time. It is the result of the acceleration acting on the object for a given amount of time.