Derek Wise thesis is posted (Baez student, Cartan geometry)

In summary, Derek has moved from UC Riverside to UC Davis and has been transferring his webpages accordingly. His research has been discussed by John Baez in a conference paper and summarized by Derek himself in a paper on arxiv. His thesis, which covers various aspects of Cartan geometry, has been praised for its organization and inclusion of previously published content. One particular highlight is the thorough coverage of MacDowell-Mansouri gravity. There is also mention of the famous hamster picture in the thesis. It is suggested that it would be beneficial for others, including Marcus, to read Derek's paper.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://www.math.ucr.edu/home/baez/thesis_wise.pdf

Derek has taken a position at UC Davis and been moving his webpages up there from UC Riverside.

John Baez has discussed a chunk of Derek's research in a paper he delivered at a conference a few months back. Also Derek has summarized part of it in a paper he put on arxiv last year.
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0611154

Cartan geometry could turn out to play a crucial role in quantum gravity. Derek is a good clear writer so his earlier paper was a pleasure to read (the one everybody remembers as having the hamster in a ball rolling over a differentiable manifold).

Here is Derek's new UCD webpage
http://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~derek/

I've looked thru the thesis and see that one useful thing it does is gather several related lines of investigation into one organized exposition. I suspect several of us have already read large portions of Wise's thesis in other formats (I certainly have, with interest!). A good deal of the content had already been made public in papers and online slides.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This thesis has a lot of good stuff in it. My favorite, not surprisingly, is his thorough coverage of MacDowell-Mansouri gravity, which should probably start going by the more descriptive name, "modified BF gravity."

josh1 said:
So you think it would be a good idea for marcus to read Derek`s paper?

I think it would be a good idea for marcus to read whatever he wants.

garrett said:
I think it would be a good idea for marcus to read whatever he wants.

Sounds like a good plan, Garrett :smile: and one others could follow as well!
As i said in my first post, I looked through the 200-page thesis immediately when it came out and discovered that I had already read substantial parts of it in various forms (earlier papers and talks by Derek and by Baez about Derek's research etc. et al.)
BTW the famous picture of the hamster is on page 138. And I was definitely reading it because that was what I wanted to read! Dr. Johnson had some advice about this*. :biggrin:

Garrett, if you feel like taking the trouble to help an onlooker, please list some pages or sections where there is important new stuff that we have not already seen in Derek's earlier paper and the slides from his talk---papers with Baez, and so on.

As I said in the earlier post, what I mostly see is a valuable gathering and fitting together of various pieces of a new direction of research which we've been hearing about for about two years. (maybe even earlier, going back to Freidel and Starodubtsev.)

To me it's interesting that, just as the new approach Smolin is following (with Sundance, Wan, Hackett, Kauffman... https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=190053 ) is getting matter out of braids, so is the quite different approach that Derek assembles the pieces of ALSO looking to get matter out of braids. But braids made of different cloth.

Anyway, if the spirit moves you to point to a few pages or sections for special attention, please do.

*Basically Samuel Johnson's advice was to read what you want to read and put hostile-motivated stuff on your ignore list, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

What is Derek Wise's thesis about?

Derek Wise's thesis is about Cartan geometry, a mathematical framework that generalizes the ideas of differential geometry to spaces with torsion and non-metricity.

Who is Derek Wise's thesis advisor?

Derek Wise's thesis advisor is John Baez, a prominent mathematician and physicist known for his work in category theory, quantum gravity, and mathematical physics.

What are the main contributions of Derek Wise's thesis?

The main contributions of Derek Wise's thesis include new results in the theory of Cartan geometry, as well as its applications to topics such as general relativity, gauge theories, and string theory.

Where can I access Derek Wise's thesis?

Derek Wise's thesis is publicly available and can be accessed through various online academic databases or through the website of the university where it was submitted.

What impact has Derek Wise's thesis had on the field of mathematics?

Derek Wise's thesis has had a significant impact on the field of mathematics, particularly in the areas of differential geometry and mathematical physics. It has also sparked further research and developments in the theory of Cartan geometry.