Changed my First Tire - A Computer Nerd's Triumph!

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tire
In summary, the conversation is about someone who is not knowledgeable about cars but managed to change a tire by following the owner's manual. The conversation also includes jokes about changing tires and the importance of knowing basic car maintenance. One person also shares a story about breaking studs while trying to change a tire due to the military's confusing specifications for left and right-handed threads.
Changed my first tire!

Yahoo! I am a computer nerd and not at all into autos. So when I found one of my car tires slashed this morning I was a bit in a panic. But I opened my owners manual and actually worked my way through getting the spare tire on. Woohoo I feel good!

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Yahoo! I am a computer nerd and not at all into autos. So when I found one of my car tires slashed this morning, I was in a bit of a panic! But I opened my owners manual and actually worked my way through getting the spare tire on. Woohoo I feel good!

Wait a minute -- why would someone slash your tires :eek: ?

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
Wait a minute -- why would someone slash your tires :eek: ?

Prolly some crackpot we banned :wink:

Now go back and change the tire that was slashed. (just joking)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Yahoo! I am a computer nerd and not at all into autos. So when I found one of my car tires slashed this morning I was a bit in a panic. But I opened my owners manual and actually worked my way through getting the spare tire on. Woohoo I feel good!
Great, you made it in the office at 14:52 !
:tongue2: :rolleyes:

Congratulations Greg!

What is the world coming to when someone doesn't know how to change a tire before he's 6 years old? :rolleyes:

Anyhow, if you can come up the a name and address for the prick who did it, I'll teach you some other stuff that you might find satisfying.

Danger said:
What is the world coming to when someone doesn't know how to change a tire before he's 6 years old? :rolleyes:

Anyhow, if you can come up the a name and address for the prick who did it, I'll teach you some other stuff that you might find satisfying.
I didn't know Drillbit Taylor posts on this forum :rofl: jk

undrcvrbro said:
I didn't know Drillbit Taylor posts on this forum :rofl: jk

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
When I learned how (although I didn't have the physical strength at the time to actually do it), it involved peeling the tire off of the rim, patching or replacing the inner tube, and putting the tire back on the rim. That's what tire irons were for. The things that they call tire irons these days are just lug wrenches.

If you figured out how to change a tire, you can do a LOT more work on autos than you assume; changing a battery, spark plugs, brakes, suspension. I personally think changing a tire is harder than changing spark plugs... less strenuous at least. Heck, if you figured out how to change a tire, that's halfway through doing a brake job!

As much as I like making fun of automotive Haynes manuals... "installation is (99% of the time) reverse of removal":smile:

Danger said:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
When I learned how (although I didn't have the physical strength at the time to actually do it), it involved peeling the tire off of the rim, patching or replacing the inner tube, and putting the tire back on the rim. That's what tire irons were for. The things that they call tire irons these days are just lug wrenches.

I still remember the look on a friend of mines face when I swapped a tire from one wheel to another by running over it with a car. I've never seen so much doubt from someone before in my life.

Are you talking about just popping the bead, or something that belongs in a circus? I'm familiar with cracking a tire off of the rim by driving over it, but not actually changing one. :confused:

Danger said:
Are you talking about just popping the bead, or something that belongs in a circus? I'm familiar with cracking a tire off of the rim by driving over it, but not actually changing one. :confused:

Sorry, yeah, just popping it. When he pulled up in his car to bring me the tire, he mentioned not seeing any kind of rim clamp changing machine. All I said was... "watch this..." lol.

Age and treachery win out once again!

Greg Bernhardt said:

You did toggle the throsin rod, I hope?

Ivan Seeking said:

:rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:

Yes after clamping the von burgers pipe :wink:

Autos? Not cars or wheels or vehicles? Here in Germany you're sort of obliged to drive snow/winter tyres in the season. But these are so soft that they would not survive summer temperatures. Therefore having a general pitt stop twice a year is mandatory, changing all tyres for summer or winter.

Danger said:

Really! My dad brought home Willys Jeep when I was 10 and got some spare tires and rims in the bargain. He told me to change the tires the next day while he was at work and I started on the right-hand side and (using a cheater) I managed to break a bunch of studs. It turns out the military (in its infinite wisdom) specified that the threads of the studs and lug nuts on the right hand side of the vehicle needed to be left-handed and the ones on the left-hand sides needed to be right handed. Dad needed to order a bunch of new studs and lug nuts and we installed them that weekend.

turbo-1 said:
It turns out the military (in its infinite wisdom) specified that the threads of the studs and lug nuts on the right hand side of the vehicle needed to be left-handed and the ones on the left-hand sides needed to be right handed.

Luckily, I heard about that being somewhat of a standard for European (or Asian, I can't remember) vehicles when they first started showing up here. Our lawn mower actually had left-hand threads on the left-side wheel bolts so they wouldn't loosen during use.
Since I'm ambidextrous, it didn't bother me. :biggrin:

Wow Greg, you're way ahead of a lot of the residents of this state. As best I can figure, they are pretty good at getting the old tires off, but get stuck on how to get the new one on based on all the cars sitting up on blocks in their yards without any tires on them. :wink:

Though, I'm surprised you got along this far without knowing how to change a tire. A lesson on tire and oil changing were mandatory for getting handed the car keys for the first solo drive when I was a "kid." I had to help out with any other required car maintenance too, although all I ever learned from that was don't even try fixing your own car unless you have a second car to drive back and forth to the auto parts store to get the one strange tool you need for your model car, or to get another part when you find out the one you already bought is the wrong one and won't fit after you've destroyed the original part trying to get it off. :uhh:

Moonbear said:
after you've destroyed the original part trying to get it off. :uhh:

I've destroyed a few parts trying to get it off, but it had nothing to do with cars.

Yeah man! It makes sense to have it be reverse threaded, especially on a lawnmower. My unicycle is the same.

Ivan Seeking said:

OMG that's right, forgetting the throsen rod can lead to a disaster.

binzing said:
My unicycle is the same.

Which wheel?

Danger said:
Which wheel?

Probably the middle one

I am thinking that the older Chrysler products had reverse threads on one side. The drivers side I think. That caused a lot of busted knuckles.

edward said:
Probably the middle one

I was thinking that way, but I hate to jump to conclusions.
Our original family car was a '55 Plymouth. I can't remember for sure, but I think that it had reverse threads on some of the wheel studs. I know that some car that I was exposed to as a youngster did, but I really can't remember which one it was. Our second vehicle was a Vauxhal Envoy (spelling?), so that might have been the one with the bass-ackward threads.

Danger said:
I was thinking that way, but I hate to jump to conclusions.
Our original family car was a '55 Plymouth. I can't remember for sure, but I think that it had reverse threads on some of the wheel studs. I know that some car that I was exposed to as a youngster did, but I really can't remember which one it was. Our second vehicle was a Vauxhal Envoy (spelling?), so that might have been the one with the bass-ackward threads.

Chrysler thought that the left hand thread would help to keep the nuts from coming loose.
So now I am thinking that they would be on the passenger side.

edward said:
Chrysler thought that the left hand thread would help to keep the nuts from coming loose.
So now I am thinking that they would be on the passenger side.

Yep.

I think my old 68 Chevy truck has reverse threads.

I still remember this poster hanging in the high school auto shop.
"Righty tighty lefty loosey".

Given that I had rebuilt by first motorcycle by age 12, I found this to be quite insulting! :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Yep.

I think my old 68 Chevy truck has reverse threads.

I still remember this poster hanging in the high school auto shop.
"Righty tighty lefty loosey".

Given that I had rebuilt by first motorcycle by age 12, I found this to be quite insulting! :biggrin:

Wow Ivan you were practically a mechanical child prodigy.

I did my first automobile engine swap at age 14 using a chain hoist hung from a tree limb.

There is one more thing I wanted to mention about changing the tire on the rim with tire irons, or a couple of big screw drivers for that matter.

Many moons ago an old timer showed me how to clip a pair of vice grips on the edge of the rim so that the tire won't slip back off or on to the rim ahead and behind of the tire irons.

I haven't changed an a car tire that way in years, but the vice grip idea works great on wheel barrow and lawn tractor tires.

edward said:
Wow Ivan you were practically a mechanical child prodigy.

Nah, it was a fairly normal progression. I started mowing lawns at age 10, which meant that I had to learn how to fix the engine on the lawnmower. Then I fell in love with minibikes, and then dirt bikes. Ironically though, my first rebuild was for pay and not my own use. And it was a very strange engine. They used a rotating slotted plate instead of intake valves! And IIRC, the clutch assembly went right through the engine; through the middle of an idler gear and shaft. I had no manual and had a heck of a time figuring out how it was supposed to work. Interestingly, after being stumped for a day or two, it came to me in a dream. No kidding! I can still remember seeing the thing go together, in my sleep, and then bolting out of bed.

I did my first automobile engine swap at age 14 using a chain hoist hung from a tree limb.

Back when VW bugs were all the rage, down in Los Angeles the gangs got so good at stealing the engines that it evolved into formal contests. The last time that I heard about this, the winner had the engine out in something like 30 seconds!

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Interestingly, after being stumped for a day or two, it came to me in a dream. No kidding! I can still remember seeing the thing go together, in my sleep, and then bolting out of bed

LOL I had the same thing happen the first time I tried to rebuild a GM quadrajet carburetor.

I have had that Eureka moment a number of times in my life, but the one I'll always remember happened at 2:00 am at age sixteen.

Man, you guys are lucky. Whenever I have a dream where I figure something out, I wake up all excited like you two, but then realize what I just dreamed was a load of crap. For one, there was a bear chasing me.