Need help with simple math problem

• Thread starter Void
  • Start date
In summary, 1.7x10^30 years is an unimaginably long period of time, about 3 times the age of the universe. It was mentioned as a response to a question about how many years this number would equal and the confusion around exponents. The conversation also included a joke about quantum tunneling and a hypothetical scenario of running into a wall every second for the duration of this time period.
Void
how many years would 1.7x10^30 equal? i don't understand how the exponents work when i put into my calculator.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
1,700,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years

Paden Roder

A horrifying amount that don't bear thinking about, even if the time unit you omitted to mention was the microsecond.

could you explain what you mean arildno? and thanks for the calculation rod. :smile:

It was a half-joke, but think about it.
Can we really comprehend the timespan implied?
If you look at it in number of years, then it's about 3 times the age of the universe!
That's one heck of a loooong time!

LOL!

Hey Void, I got some trivia for you.

According to quantum theory, specifically quantum tunneling, if you were to run into a wall once every second, it would take you roughly the age of the universe to pass through it. HEHE!

In your number of years that we calculated, you could have passed through the wall, passed back to get your wallet that you forgot, and then run back to the other side.

Paden Roder

What is a simple math problem?

A simple math problem is a numerical or algebraic equation that can be solved using basic mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

Why do people need help with simple math problems?

People may need help with simple math problems because they are struggling to understand the concepts or they may have forgotten the steps to solve the problem. Additionally, some people may have learning difficulties or may be working with more complicated equations that require assistance.

How can I improve my skills in solving simple math problems?

One way to improve your skills in solving simple math problems is to practice regularly. You can also seek help from a tutor or online resources to better understand the concepts and steps involved in solving different types of math problems.

What are some common mistakes people make when solving simple math problems?

Some common mistakes people make when solving simple math problems include forgetting to carry over numbers when adding or subtracting, mixing up the order of operations, and not properly simplifying fractions or decimals.

Is there a specific method for solving simple math problems?

Yes, there are specific methods for solving different types of simple math problems. These methods may include using mental math, using a formula, or using a step-by-step approach. It is important to understand the concept behind the problem and choose the most appropriate method for solving it.