Do I have to finish the BS degree before applying for a Masters?

In summary, it is common for students to apply for graduate programs during their last year of undergraduate studies. This usually happens in the fall when they are seniors. It is not necessary to have the undergraduate degree in hand, but it must be completed before entering the master's program. This process is similar to applying to college during one's last year of high school.
KCL
Or can I do it while I'm starting my last semester or so?

And if the answer is yes, would it hurt my chances?

The plan right now is to graduate with a Computer Science degree in summer 2010, and I'd like to start studying for a Masters in fall 2010 if possible. Thanks for any help. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You typically apply for graduate programs the last year of your undergrad degree - so you'd apply in the fall as a senior. You don't need to have the degree in hand, but you do need to complete the bachelors before entering the masters program.

I'll be graduating with a BS in physics this coming spring, but I plan to start applying to graduate school sometime in December. My understanding is that this is a pretty standard thing to do.

its comparable to applying to college your last year of high school

1. Can I apply for a Masters program before finishing my Bachelor's degree?

No, most Masters programs require applicants to have a completed Bachelor's degree before they can be considered for admission.

2. Will not having a Bachelor's degree affect my chances of getting into a Masters program?

Yes, not having a Bachelor's degree may significantly decrease your chances of being accepted into a Masters program. Most programs have strict requirements and prefer applicants with a completed undergraduate degree.

3. Can I start a Masters program while finishing my Bachelor's degree?

It is possible to start a Masters program while finishing your Bachelor's degree, but it may be challenging to balance both at the same time. It is important to carefully consider your workload and schedule before making this decision.

4. Are there any exceptions to the requirement of completing a Bachelor's degree before applying for a Masters?

In some cases, applicants with extensive work experience or exceptional academic achievements may be considered for a Masters program without a completed Bachelor's degree. However, these exceptions are rare and vary depending on the specific program and institution.

5. What should I do if I am unsure about whether to finish my Bachelor's degree before applying for a Masters?

It is always best to consult with an academic advisor or the admissions office of the Masters program you are interested in to discuss your individual situation. They can provide guidance and help you make an informed decision.