Calculate Height of Freely Falling Object - 30m in 1.5s

In summary, to find the height above the ground that the object fell from, you need to find the velocity of the object when it is 30m above the ground, then use this to find the height above the 30m where the velocity was 0. Be careful not to assume that the impact velocity is 0. You can use either the velocity equation or the displacement equation to solve for the unknown variables.
kash25
A freely falling object requires 1.50 s to travel the last 30.0 m before it hits the ground. From what height above the ground did it fall?

I have been working on this for a while and seem to be going wrong somewhere.
I am unclear as to how free fall is meant here. I know that it need not refer to an object that is simply falling and can refer to any object that is experiencing gravity alone. How can I tell whether this object was thrown upward before falling? Does it make a difference?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the velocity of the object when it is 30m above the ground. Then use this to find out the height above the 30m where the velocity was 0. Just use formulas where you have the most knowns and fewest unknowns.

i was doing that but i got different velocities depending on which equation i used...:
velocity(Average)=(vsub30m + vsubground)/2
20 = vsub30m/2
vsub30m=40m/s
if i do the same thing with the equation deltaX = vsub30m*t + .5at^2,
i get something like 12.6 for vsub30m..
where am i going wrong?

Hi kash25,

kash25 said:
i was doing that but i got different velocities depending on which equation i used...:
velocity(Average)=(vsub30m + vsubground)/2
20 = vsub30m/2

This line is not right. You have assumed that vsubground=0; however, vsubground is the impact velocity (the velocity right before it touches the ground) and so is not zero.

1. How do I calculate the height of a freely falling object?

To calculate the height of a freely falling object, you can use the formula h = 1/2 * g * t^2, where h is the height, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds.

2. What is the value of g in the formula for calculating the height of a freely falling object?

The value of g is the acceleration due to gravity, which is a constant value of 9.8 m/s^2 on Earth. This value may vary slightly depending on location and altitude, but for most calculations, 9.8 m/s^2 is an accurate approximation.

3. How do I convert the time from seconds to other units?

To convert time from seconds to other units, you can use the following conversions: 1 minute = 60 seconds, 1 hour = 60 minutes = 3,600 seconds, and 1 day = 24 hours = 86,400 seconds.

4. Can I use the formula to calculate the height of an object in any situation?

The formula h = 1/2 * g * t^2 can be used to calculate the height of an object in free fall, as long as the object is not experiencing any other external forces such as air resistance or wind. This formula assumes that the object is falling in a vacuum or in a situation where the effects of air resistance are negligible.

5. How accurate is the calculated height of a freely falling object?

The calculated height of a freely falling object using the formula h = 1/2 * g * t^2 is an approximation and may not be 100% accurate due to factors such as air resistance and slight variations in the value of g. However, for most practical purposes, this formula provides a reasonably accurate estimate of the height of a falling object.