Motion of Charged Particles in Electric Fields

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving multiple point charges in a rectangular configuration. The question asks for the magnitude and direction of the electric force on each charge, as well as the electric field and potential at the center. The conversation shows that the person has researched the problem and come up with some initial calculations, but is looking for guidance on how to proceed.
soccerdude28
Multiple Point Charges

Alright so the question is:
A charge of 1.2x10^-3C is fixed at each corner of a rectangle that is 30cm wide and 40cm long. What is the magnitude and direction of the electric force on each charge? What is the electric field and the electric potential at the centre?

I am NOT asking for the answer, i am asking for someone to help push me along the right path. I have researched this on the internet and read about it in my textbook. This is what i have come up with.
At each point, r1 = 0.3, r2 = 0.4, r3=0.5.
E = vector sum
And then use the equasion
E=KQ/R
not quite sure what to do at this point.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump please help!

Last edited:
please help!

come on guys, just lead me down the right path

What is the motion of charged particles in electric fields?

The motion of charged particles in electric fields is the movement of particles in response to the electric force exerted on them by an electric field. This motion is caused by the interaction between the charged particles and the electric field.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electric force can be experienced by charged particles. It is created by the presence of charged particles or objects with an imbalance of electric charge.

How does an electric field affect particles with different charges?

An electric field affects positively charged particles and negatively charged particles differently. Positively charged particles are pushed in the direction of the electric field, while negatively charged particles are pushed in the opposite direction.

What factors affect the motion of charged particles in electric fields?

The motion of charged particles in electric fields is affected by the strength of the electric field, the magnitude of the charge on the particles, and the mass of the particles. Other factors such as the presence of other electrically charged objects and the shape of the electric field can also impact the motion of particles.

How is the motion of charged particles in electric fields useful in practical applications?

The motion of charged particles in electric fields has many practical applications, including in particle accelerators, cathode ray tubes, and electric motors. It is also used in technologies such as televisions, computers, and medical equipment.