Distance between two parallel lines

In summary, To determine the distance between the parallel planes –4x–4y+1z=–1 and 8x+8y–2z=12, one can find a point on one plane and a line perpendicular to the planes, then calculate the distance between that point and the intersection of the line and the other plane. This can be done using the equation Proj_n_v = ((vn)/(nn))n. The final result is (5/33)(sqrt33).
lubricarret

Homework Statement

Determine the distance between the parallel planes –4x–4y+1z=–1 and 8x+8y–2z=12

Homework Equations

Proj_n_v = ((vn)/(nn))n

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I understood how to do this, but I am not getting a correct answer for it. What I did was:
I made the equations to be:
–4x–4y+1z=–1 and
–4x–4y+1z=–12
and therefore got the normal to these two planes to be: (-4,-4,1)
Then, I took a point P (0,0,-1) from plane 1. Then, took a point A on plane 2 to be (0,0,-12).

From these two points, I got vector AP = (0,0,11).

I projected vector AP onto the normal... so
proj_n_AP = (((AP)n)/(nn))n

And got the result: (11/33)[(-4,-4,1)]

I then got the distance by ll(11/33)[(-4,-4,1)]ll to be (11/33)sqrt33

Am I doing this totally wrong? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you are doing it right. You just made a booboo. Dividing 8x+8y–2z=12 by -2 gives –4x–4y+1z=–6, doesn't it?

Aa! Can't believe I made such a stupid mistake. Thanks!

So, the answer would just be (5/33)(sqrt33), correct?...

As I would keep P as (0,0,-1), but make A (0,0,-6); and get the vector AP = (0,0,5)

So, projecting AP onto the normal, and then getting the distance of the projection would result in: (5/33)(sqrt33)

That seems right.

But why bother with projecting? You know that a point on plane 1 is (0, 0, -1) and that the normal vector is given by <-4, -4 , 1> so a line through that point, normal to the plane is x= -4t, y= -4t, z= -1+ t. Where does that line intersect plane 2? The distance between those two points is the distance between the planes.

What is the formula for finding the distance between two parallel lines?

The formula for finding the distance between two parallel lines is d = |c1 - c2| / √(a² + b²), where c1 and c2 are the y-intercepts of the two lines and a and b are the slopes of the lines.

How do you determine if two lines are parallel?

Two lines are parallel if they have the same slope. This means that the lines have the same steepness and will never intersect.

Can the distance between two parallel lines be negative?

No, the distance between two parallel lines is always positive. This is because distance is a measure of the absolute value of the difference between two values.

What does the distance between two parallel lines represent?

The distance between two parallel lines represents the shortest distance between any two points on the lines. It can also be thought of as the length of the perpendicular segment connecting the two lines.

How can the distance between two parallel lines be used in real-world applications?

The distance between two parallel lines can be used in various real-world applications, such as in engineering and construction to determine the minimum distance between two structures. It can also be used in navigation to calculate the shortest distance between two parallel paths.