Implementing Hall Effect Sensor

In summary, the magnetic field that the solenoid can produce can be measured using a Hall Effect Sensor, but the sensor does not give accurate results.
sbagliato
Hi, I am working with a solenoid and I am trying to measure the magnetic field that it can produce using a Hall Effect Sensor but I cannot seem to get any results from the sensor. Does anyone know how this is suppose to be done? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
sbagliato said:
Hi, I am working with a solenoid and I am trying to measure the magnetic field that it can produce using a Hall Effect Sensor but I cannot seem to get any results from the sensor. Does anyone know how this is suppose to be done? Thanks.

Welcome to the PF. What sensor are you using? Can you post a schematic of how you are hooking it up?

it is a linear hall effect sensor but I was not able to find out the specific model (the sensor was given to me). I have attached a PDF with the basics of my set up. Is it conceptually correct?

Attachments

• hallEffectSensorDiagram.pdf
    23.8 KB · Views: 264
sbagliato said:
it is a linear hall effect sensor but I was not able to find out the specific model (the sensor was given to me). I have attached a PDF with the basics of my set up. Is it conceptually correct?

I would look for similar devices on the Internet, and download a datasheet for a similar device. That should give you an idea of what kinds of output voltages to expect for different fields. And also let you know what direction to turn the sensor to have the B-field have the maximum effect on the output voltage.

Look at Allegromicro for Hall Effect sensors. Digikey has a few models. See
www.digikey.com
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll
http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Products/Categories/Sensors/index.asp
These will not work easily unless your solenoid is DC.
[Edit] This is one Allegro unit available at Digikey:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=620-1024-ND
The magnetic field is perpendicular to flat face. They have 16,545 in stock; $1.74 each. Linear field sensor, 5.25 Gauss per millivolt.
You want the 3-SIP or SIP-3 case. What is the maxumum thickness you can use?

Last edited:
Hall effect sensors have very low output voltages and even the ones that have internal amplifiers are not very sensitive.

Try holding it near a strong permanent magnet at one of the poles and verify that the voltage output changes when you rotate the sensor.

You would need a large DC current in a big flat solenoid to get a good deflection without further amplification.

Typically, they need a 5 volt power supply and the output is 2.5 volts when they are not in a magnetic field.

1. What is a Hall Effect Sensor and how does it work?

A Hall Effect Sensor is a type of sensor that is used to measure magnetic fields. It works by utilizing the Hall Effect, which is the production of a voltage difference across an electrical conductor when it is placed in a magnetic field and current flows through it. The sensor contains a thin strip of a conductive material with a current running through it. When a magnetic field is present, the electrons in the material will be deflected, causing a voltage difference to be measured.

2. What are the main applications of Hall Effect Sensors?

Hall Effect Sensors have a wide range of applications in various industries. They are commonly used in automotive systems, such as speed and position sensors, as well as in consumer electronics, such as smartphones and laptops, for proximity sensing. They are also used in industrial applications for measuring current, position, and rotation, and in medical devices for measuring blood flow and pressure.

3. How do you implement a Hall Effect Sensor in a circuit?

To implement a Hall Effect Sensor in a circuit, you will need to connect the sensor to a power source and ground, and then connect the output pin to a microcontroller or other device that can read the voltage output. The sensor can be used in a variety of configurations, including as a switch or a linear sensor, depending on the application. It is important to refer to the sensor's datasheet for the specific connections and operating conditions.

4. What are the advantages of using Hall Effect Sensors?

One of the main advantages of using Hall Effect Sensors is their non-contact measurement capabilities. This means that they do not require physical contact with the object being measured, making them more durable and less prone to wear and tear. They also have a fast response time, high accuracy, and can operate in a wide range of temperatures and environments, making them suitable for various applications.

5. How do you calibrate a Hall Effect Sensor?

Calibrating a Hall Effect Sensor involves adjusting the sensor to produce accurate and consistent measurements. This can be done by using known magnetic fields and adjusting the sensor's settings until the measured values align with the expected values. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and perform regular calibrations to ensure the sensor is functioning properly.