Construct an Egg-Safe Structure with Newspaper and Masking Tape

• Thread starter Phox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structure
In summary: ag the tube across the surface at an angle so that the egg falls into the funnel and is then quickly captured by the closing tube.
Phox
Alright. Um. We have 4 sheets of newspaper and 1 meter of masking tape. We have to design a structure to catch four eggs dropped one after another from a point at a height of 6 ft.

What do you guys think? We've tried making just a simple 'basket' filled with crumpled paper and it doesn't work because the egg just goes right through the crumples straight to the bottom and the eggs break.

Any ingenious ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
how about two or three baskets one on top of the other? As soon as it goes through one, it may have slowed down enough to not go through the other?

Also, for the physics of it, force is change of momentum over time (impulse). In this case, you want the lowest force possible on the egg and newspaper, so you want the egg to change its speed as slow as possible (momentum is mass times velocity). How about folding it accordion-like as many times as possible somehow? (and of course, leaving enough space in between each fold to give the egg time to fold the newspaper and not just crash through it)

I think some kind of shape like that would be optimal. Now for the part where they're dropped one after the other, I guess you'll need some kind of ramp to allow the eggs to get out of the way before the next one comes in, and quick enough, although that sounds annoying to have to do.

But yeah, that's the physics of it usually. An interesting case is in cars. The hoods for example, are made to crumple easily upon impact because in a crash, the act of crumpling gives the car more time to change its momentum and thus receive a weaker force to itself (and the driver). I don't know if you knew that, but I think it's interesting anyway. Good luck,

ordirules

Your initial conditions as posted don't require that the eggs are captured unbroken. That gives a lot of leeway.
Secondly, you don't say anything about the eggs having to be unboiled at the outset. That again makes a large difference as to how many angles of approach are available to you.

I would try a "funnel like" device similar to the thing that was being engineered as a deployable fire escape.
funnel to tube about the same diameter as the egg

dr

1. How can I ensure that my egg-safe structure will effectively protect the egg?

In order to ensure that your structure will effectively protect the egg, it is important to follow some key principles. First, make sure that the structure is stable and able to support the weight of the egg. This can be achieved by using a strong base and building a sturdy frame. Additionally, consider the distribution of weight and try to balance the structure to prevent it from tipping over. Finally, test the structure by gently dropping it from a low height before placing the egg inside to ensure that it can withstand impact.

2. What type of newspaper and masking tape should I use for this project?

For this project, it is best to use regular, thin newspaper and standard masking tape. Avoid using thicker or glossy paper, as it may not adhere as well to the tape and could make the structure less stable. It is also important to use enough tape to securely hold the structure together, but not so much that it becomes bulky and heavy.

3. Can I use other materials besides newspaper and masking tape?

While newspaper and masking tape are the recommended materials for this project, you can certainly experiment with other materials. Just make sure that they are lightweight and can be easily manipulated to create a sturdy structure. Some options could include thin cardboard, popsicle sticks, or even toothpicks and clay.

4. How can I make my structure more visually appealing?

If you want to add some aesthetic appeal to your egg-safe structure, you can paint or decorate the newspaper and masking tape. This can be done before or after constructing the structure. Just be careful not to add too much weight or compromise the structural integrity of the design.

5. What is the best way to design my structure to be as efficient as possible?

To design an efficient egg-safe structure, it is important to consider the laws of physics. Think about the different forces acting on the structure, such as gravity and tension, and how you can use them to your advantage. Triangles, for example, are a stable shape and can effectively distribute weight. You can also use different folding techniques to create more support and stability in your structure.