What Was Mel Gibson's Most Memorable Role?

• Thread starter jhooper3581
  • Start date
In summary, Gibson is a better actor than Reeves. Reeves has been in some terrible roles, while Gibson has had some good roles.

Keanu Reeves or Mel Gibson?

• Keanu Reeves.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Mel Gibson.

Votes: 15 83.3%

• Total voters
jhooper3581
Definitely Mel Gibson.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I would have to go with Gibson by default. May I ask what brought on such an odd comparison?

Keanue Reeves is great for the roles he plays. Of course, a plank of wood would ALSO be good for the roles he play.

Keanu Reaves always plays Ted Logan. Mel Gibson's diversity is presented between Lethal Weapon (comedic action hero) and Road Warrior (badass reluctant hero). Oh yeah, and Conspiracy Theory (neurotic test subject hero).

Though if anyone's seen the first Madmax (before Road Warrior) they saw Gibson before he could act well.

I would say Mel Gibson because he can play a variety of roles where as Keanu Reeves is usually typecasted.

I like them both, but Mel Gibson is a better actor.

Keanu was pretty good in The Matrix. People don't give him any credit for acting well, but he played a decent Neo. Nicolas Cage supposedly turned down the role, so I guess we at least got the lesser of two evils.

leroyjenkens said:
Keanu was pretty good in The Matrix.
Yes, but the way he plays the role is just a reincarnation of his Bill and Ted role (just older). And he's done that several other times: Constantine was a great movie, but he was the same guy. Speed was Neo as a cop. The Day the Earth Stood Still was Neo the robot alien.

Now he has occasionally done a couple of other roles (Sweet November?), but I haven't seen those movies...

Yes, but the way he plays the role is just a reincarnation of his Bill and Ted role (just older). And he's done that several other times: Constantine was a great movie, but he was the same guy. Speed was Neo as a cop. The Day the Earth Stood Still was Neo the robot alien.

Now he has occasionally done a couple of other roles (Sweet November?), but I haven't seen those movies...
The thing is, he just seems so emotionless in all his roles and he has that same surfer way of talking. It's not necessarily the same character.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I think I would have to go with Gibson by default. May I ask what brought on such an odd comparison?

Yeah, he'd better ask which 1 is sexier!:tongue2:

Neither one belongs in a Shakespeare role. Reeves in Much Ado was horrid to the point of mild pain and Gibson bit off waaaayyyy more than he could chew as Hamlet.I liked Gibson in Payback. That was a pretty good role for him. I also cringe to think of Reeves in Braveheart. Gibson FTW.

I think we should throw Harrison Ford into the mix.

Considering how little acting either is required to do, the question is a little like asking if people prefer to eat rocks or glass. They both wind up typecast and keep playing the same basic role over and over.

I guess there's at least a couple roles Reeves has played where you become involved enough in the character that you forget it's Reeves playing the role, so he probably has the talent to be a good actor if he could get good roles. The only role Gibson has played where I even remember the character's name is Braveheart. (None the less, if you ask which turned in the most enjoyable performance, I'd have to say Gibson in "Mad Max - Beyond the Thunder Dome". I loved that movie even if it was definitely a B-rate movie.)

I like actors like DiCaprio and Depp in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape". You remember the characters in the movie more than who the actor was and that's the mark of a good actor - to bring the character to life. Or Reese Witherspoon and Keifer Sutherland in "Freeway", for that matter - I never would have expected Witherspoon to play that type of role and play it so well.

Two facts:
1. Only movie Keanu shows really good emotion is in Bill & Ted. Everything else is just seems like his emotion died.

2. Keanu Reeves is cute but not hot.

BobG said:
The only role Gibson has played where I even remember the character's name is Braveheart.

(hint: Gibson played Max in Mad Max)

1. What makes Mel Gibson a better actor?

There are many factors that contribute to Mel Gibson's success as an actor, including his natural talent, dedication to his craft, and ability to bring depth and emotion to his characters. He also has a strong physical presence and an intense on-screen presence that captivates audiences.

2. How has Mel Gibson's acting evolved over the years?

Mel Gibson's acting has evolved significantly over the years, from his early days as a heartthrob in films like Lethal Weapon to more complex and challenging roles in Braveheart and The Passion of the Christ. He has also expanded his skills as a director, which has influenced his performances in recent years.

3. What are some of Mel Gibson's most iconic roles?

Mel Gibson has had many iconic roles throughout his career, but some of his most memorable include Mad Max in the original trilogy, William Wallace in Braveheart, and Benjamin Martin in The Patriot. He has also received critical acclaim for his portrayal of Ed Tom Bell in No Country for Old Men and his voice acting as John Smith in Pocahontas.

4. How has Mel Gibson's personal life affected his acting career?

Mel Gibson's personal life has had a significant impact on his acting career. His struggles with alcoholism and controversial statements have often overshadowed his talent as an actor. However, he has also used his life experiences to fuel his performances, bringing a raw and authentic energy to his roles.

5. What sets Mel Gibson apart from other actors?

Mel Gibson sets himself apart from other actors with his versatility and range. He has successfully tackled a variety of genres, from action to drama to comedy. He also has a unique ability to convey emotion and vulnerability on screen, making his performances truly captivating and memorable.